Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP and SCCP CME at the same time

goranpilat
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I know the above should be possible, except one thing I can't figure out. In flash I have both SCCP and SIP firmware, for, let's say, 7960.

I want some of my 7960s to be SIP others SCCP.

I have the following:

Telephony-service

load 7960-7940 XXXXXX

create cnf

Voice register global

load 7960-7940 YYYYYY

create profile

and all other needed regarding tftp-server.

How will the newly plugged phone behave, which load will it download.

I tried it in the lab and to me it seemed that SCCP FW has advantage over the SIP (Didn't want to upgrade to SIP as long as I kept telephony-service).

Can anyone comment on this?

best regards

Goran Pilat

1 Reply 1

goranpilat
Level 3
Level 3

OK seems I figured it out...

So you have two possible servers to run CME : SIP (voice register global) and SCCP (telephony-service).

When you create ephone, you basicaly create SEPAAAABBBBCCCC.cfg.xml file for that phone (assume MAC address is aaaa.bbbb.cccc)

When you create voice register pool, you create SIPAAAABBBBCCCC.cfg.xml file for that phone ( MAC address is aaaa.bbbb.cccc)

When the phone boots it looks for its config files in this order:

SEPAAAABBBBCCCC.cfg.xml

SIPAAAABBBBCCCC.cfg.xml

So if both files exist (both ephone and voice register pool with same MAC), it will take SEP file, and the phone will remain (or upgrade to) SCCP

Useful command that shows which files exactly you have on tftp is :

show telephony-service tftp

show voice register tftp

debug tftp events >> when powering the phone

Now for the tricky part:

If you had your phone configured as ephone, and you want to upgrade it to SIP, just by "no ephone" command you won't remove the SEP file (alias to be correct). And the phone will still find its SEP file and register with SCCP, although appearing "empty" - no ephone-dn. So you have to remove the alias line from the output of "show telephony-service tftp" command.

Only then will phone when booting come to the part to download SIPAAAABBBCCC file...

Phew...

Hope it's useful :) (At least I'l know where to find it next time)

Goran Pilat

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: