Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sip-server not showing in config

We have cube configurations we inherited that we can see the dial-peers are pointing to:

session target sip-server

Normally you would have defined sip-server in the sip-ua area, but it's not showing there at all.

I'm assuming it's defined some other way.

What other ways can you define the value of "sip-server"?

7 Replies 7

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Check if there are any voice-class tenants configured.

That doesn't appear to be the case.  I see in the CUBE configuration guide a discussion of multi-tenant and VRF and the dial peer config does look similar, but there is no ip host vrf references or interface references or anything like that that would make me think that was in use for sip traffic.

When doing a sh run all (instead of just sh run), the session target sip-server reference expands to

session target dns: (the name reference here is an srv record that is menioned above as an

ip host _sip._tcp....     and

ip host _sip._udp....    references   they point to a DNS server and an SRV resolution.) 

The dns reference does resolve to the actual server.  But what mechanism (command) would allow the cube to connect the dns reference to the sip-server reference?  What allows it to learn that?

Are there other mechanisms for sip=server learning a value?

VRF and tenants are two different things. They might be used with one another for added benefits but it's not a mandate. Share your CUBE config please.

You are correct - I wasn't clear.   There are sections in the configuration guide about mult-tenants and VRF aware DNS (separate sections, but both in the guide).  I was simply trying to say I looked at both sections and neither seemed to apply.  I worded it poorly (and some words got lost when I copied and pasted some things, sorry!).

I'm more interested in knowing the mechanisms that can be used to assign the sip-server a value since it isn't covered as well as I'd like in the CUBE configuration documentation.

No problem, that is fine.
AFAIK you can define sip-server either under "sip-ua" or "tenant" config.

That's what I thought too, but this doesn't seem to be the case (no voice-class tenant or voice-class sip tenant commands anywhere).   It seems to be related to DNS and host entries, but I don't see anything tying them specifically to the sip-server command so I'm suspecting it it something that happens when you define the hosts a particular way (or the way the _sip._tcp and _sip._udp SRV references are made, but I'm not finding any information anywhere that describes if that is, in fact the mechanism or how you use it in general.  I'm sure it's somewhere but I haven't found it.  If I do, I'll post it here as well.

And, as I mentioned, it had me wondering about what other mechanisms may be out there that may not be obvious that will cause that value to be definted.

sip-ua or tenant config for sip-server ties back to the how you define them. sip-server alone is not a SRV or a DNS lookup won't happen. If you would have been using DNS lookup, the command would have been "session target dns:cisco.com". If you could share your router config, I can take a look.