Views
Helpful
Replies

sip trunk - calling name not shown

cbrasolin
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,
i have setup a SIP trunk with a third party pbx. The trunk have both caller line id and caller name presentation allowed, the P-Asserted-Identity is enable too. When the invite is sent from the CUCM to the IP PBX, the invite message does not contains the calling name (not in the FROM and not in the PAI) and the receiver phone can't see the name of the caller.
Should not be sent by default the name of the caller? Any idea about what to check?

NOTE: when the call come from the IP PBX to a cisco phone, the invite contains the calling name.

Regards,
Christian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That most likely is the problem. ASCII display name is what gets sent to gateways and trunks, while Display Name is used for internal calls. It can be useful if you'd like to send a general "ACME corporation" as calling name to external destinations.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

cbrasolin
Level 4
Level 4

I forgot to say: the phone configuration has the "display name" configured but not the ASCII display name" that is empty, this because the phones are created with the selfservice provisioning and the universal device template don't have the option to configure the ASCII field.

Regards,
Christian

That most likely is the problem. ASCII display name is what gets sent to gateways and trunks, while Display Name is used for internal calls. It can be useful if you'd like to send a general "ACME corporation" as calling name to external destinations.

Hi Evgeny,
 you have right, i have done a test with the ascii name compiled and the name come out.
I'm wondering why in the Universal device template/line template the ascii fields can not be selected... So i have to edit any auto-registered phone, not really comfortable

I have noticed that the ascii field is also used by the call pickup notification.

Regards,
Christian

It's technically more accurate to say that ascii field is used for any device that CUCM believes doesn't support unicode for name display. It just happens so that CUCM always assumes that gateways and trunks are ascii-only.

interesting, do you think would be possible to change the way the CUCM sees a specific gateway?

Regards,
Christiam

Found the setting!
 In the SIP Trunk i have to flag the setting "Transmit UTF-8 for Calling Party Name".
In this way, if both phones and the trunk have the same locale, the trunk will use the UTF and not the ascii value.

regards,
Christian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: