cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP trunk Garbled Audio with MGCP

ty.masse
Level 1
Level 1

I have a sip trunk with a provider connected via a cube 2900 router. The router is connected to cucm via internal sip trunk.  When I make a call From analog Phones Connected to an Fxs port Customers are complaining that they Cannot hear me. the sound is really garbled.  I have tested that scenario by calling my desk IP Phone from An analog Phone Connected to an Fxs.  The issue only happens on Some calls. You may dial 5 times with no issue and you would get it on the 6th call. It's Very Random.  Again the audio is never garbled Incoming. It's perfectly Clear.  The the Network is not congested when this is happening.   It also doesn't happen on calls initiated From IP Phones.

Looking forward to your answers.

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Run a packet capture on CUBE, assuming this is a flow-through scenario, and see if the stream looks intact - and plays - in Wireshark. If the problem isn’t visible on CUBE then it’s probably a network congestion (eg upstream internet saturation) issue.

Thanks for replying. I forgot to mention that we're not going over the internet. We have an MPLS connection with the provider.
Also I don't see any evidence that it's congestion related. Ip phones works just fine. Only analog devices have the issue.
I'm suspecting a codec negotiation issue betwwen the analog gateway connected via MGCP and the provider's SIP trunk but I'm not sure where to look.

A “debug ccsip messages” on CUBE will show you the dialogs including SDP negotiation.

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Take a pcap for the affected call and attach it here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: