Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Trunking Design

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Everyone,

Looking for a SIP trunking design documentation to answer the following questions:

1) What are the Pros and Cons of having a dedicated line?

2) What are the Pros and Cons of having a dedicated VRF?

3) What are the Pros and Cons of having a shared VRF?

4) What is the recommanded and best practice design for SIP Trunking for 10000 IP Phones?  

Gateway used: ISR 4350

CUCM : 10.5

Thanks,

MK

8 Replies 8

gmgarrian
Level 4
Level 4

Hello your majesty,

You can read up on VRF on CUBEs here:  

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/voi-cube-multi-vrf.html

As for what is the recommended and best practice design for SIP Trunking for 10000 IP Phones?

It's really not a good idea to design a system based on the number of phones alone.  You need to look at the business needs and what data, voice, and video requirements have to be met.

-Is this a call center? 

-Is an IVR or call queueing needed?  

-Are all phones at a single site?

-What will the call volume be?

-How many simultaneous calls?
-What codecs?

-Will media resources will be needed?  (MTP, MOH, xcoding)

There are a ton of things to consider so I'm not sure if you'll be able to get a satisfactory response here.

Thank you gmgarrian,

I saw this document before posting but I guess my question is more about the pros and cons of each approach I mentioned. Is there any document discussing the different architectures & design for SIP Trunking solution?

Thanks,

MK

You can look at the CVD section for Collaboration architectures.

1. Ensure that the ISR being deployed can handle the call volume being expected.
2. With VRF's, ensure you go through the Restrictions because that is the pit fall usually.
3. If going with multi-VRF, there are some added restrictions there as well.

Thank you Nipun Singh Raghav,

Could you please point me to the right document as I am having hard time to find any information regarding different SIP Trunking design approach.

Thanks,

MK 

Thanks again Nipun Singh Raghav,

I went throught both documents but could not find the answer to my questions. These are design questions and I am hoping someone can help me out.

Thanks,

MK

Ok, so you find them listed like that. For eg, your query related to VRF. Look up the doc and see the restrictions section. If you have a TDM-SIP call flow or a H.323 to SIP call flow or maybe you do media anti-tromboning then these would be a CON for you since you are using them and are not supported with VRF. Similarly go through all of them. Resources have been shared with you already.

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
I will give you another example for your 10000 IP Phone question. You need to first consider if your current hardware can support 10000 calls at once. Then if it's CUBE due to have sufficient RTU licenses for them. Look up documentation on CUBE and/or CUCM SRND to check and verify etc.