Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP VC endpoint call flow

pramith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Can someone explain me how does the SIP point to point VC call works.

Example: SIP endpointA at Bangalore and Endpoint B at Pune.  

How does call get initiated and how it flows, 

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It seems you are speaking about most simple SIP call case (video call and audio calls use same setup procedure, just different codecs are used) . I'm unsure what's unclear to you.

I assume you are familiar with SIP basics. Learn SIP principles from RFC3261 if my assumption is wrong. 

The document which you have sent is understand the sip in depth, 

i just want to know the flow.... like...point A wants to call point B. 

1)Does the request sent to CUCM first?

2)What cucm will do?

3)When DNS get involves in this. 

4)What DNS will do

please explain with example .... take your time... i have gone through google... but i found  complex articles only........ 

These questions may be simple to you, as i am not from network domain, if u explain me the flow only i can understand... 

1) Does the request sent to CUCM first?

2)What cucm will do?

It depends on configuration. In most simple case, there is no CUCM at all, thus it do nothing.

3)When DNS get involves in this.

4)What DNS will do

It depend on configuration. In most simple case, IP address is dialed, DNS is not used at all thus it do nothing.

These questions may be simple to you

It's no longer simple question, it's generic question. Thus it can't be answered by simple example.

Just "SIP VC endpoint call flow" is simple question. Originator sends SIP invite with sdp directly to called party identified by IP dialed by user. Neither CUCM nor DNS is used. Called phone responds with SDP. Originator sends ACK, call is considered connected, audio and video data are translated according SDP. Well, even this question can't be answered with no knowledge of configuration, as content of both SDP depends on configuration.

Complex scenario with CUCM is not simple question. And I'm no expert on it as our phone network uses no CUCM.

Consider to disclose purpose of your question. It may help an expert to answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: