Views
Helpful
Replies

Skype as sip ua

techguy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

We are planning to route our international calling traffic via Skype. Our existing setup is as below

Cisco CallManager 7.1.5 with H.323 gateways

Gateways 2951, 2921, 2911, 2901

My question is whats is CUBE? Do i need CUBE for it, Our existing hardware support CUBE.

22 Replies 22

mkchandak
Level 1
Level 1

CUBE is a software feature which allows you use to use IP telephony using IP to IP call flow. Earlier it was known as IP to IP Gateway as well. Here you will find more info about CUBE:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/prod_qas09186a00801da69b.html

HW model is available in the above mentioned link.

HTHs.

Do i really need CUBE in order to make it happen what i have asked?

You dont need to order additional hardware. You will need to order Licenses for the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/product_data_sheet09186a00801da698.html

This has details about the licensing options available, depending on the number of active sessions you need.    

Thanks for your information.

Is it necessary to make SIP trunk between CUCM and Gateway in order to make it CUBE?

Is it below possible? or i have replace h.323 with SIP between CUCM and gateway?

CUCM-->h.323-->Gateway(CUBE)-->SIP-->Skype

CUBE can be h.323 to sip or sip to sip or sip to h.323...

Yes your scenario is possible. CUBE will receive traffic on one protocol and send it out via another protocol.

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Thanks aokanlawon

I want to configure Skype as SIP trunk in order to route internetional calls via Skype. How can it be possible ? What will be configuration template?

thanks

Its pretty simple. You need to contact Skype to give you their details eg signalling IP address, user credentials for authentication if they use one...Once thats fone, you then configure your gateway with sip dial-peers to point to your skype address and use the credentials giving to you by skype for authentication

eg..

dial-peer voice 2 voip

session protocol sipv2

destination-pattern .T or 9T or whatever your dial plan is

session target ipv4:x.x.x.x

dtmf-relay rtp-nte

You then need to ocnfigure your sip ua like this. If you check o the forum you will see similar threads on how to integrate to skype

sip-ua

credentials username XXXXXXX password 7 XXXXXXXXXXXX realm sip.skype.com

authentication username XXXXXX password 7 XXXXXXXXXXX realm sip.skype.com

retry invite 2

retry register 10

registrar dns:sip.skype.com expires 3600

sip-server dns:sip.skype.com

host-registrar

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Hi.

Alternatively to what Aok suggested (+5P)  you can consider the use of a third party software such as Skystone from Imagicle which allows you to use an exsisting skype account and connect it to you cisco cube.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts

"The more you help the more you learn"

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Hi

Please find the below:-

CUBE:The Cisco Unified Border Element is used by enterprise and small and medium-sized organizations to interconnect SIP PSTN access with SIP and H.323 enterprise unified communications networks.Please also find the below link to integrate between CUCM and CUBE

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5640/products_configuration_example09186a00808ead0f.shtml

dial-peer voice 5023 voip

description Skype Out

translation-profile outgoing Skype-out2

destination-pattern 900...........

session protocol sipv2

session target dns:sip.skype.com

session transport udp

voice-class codec 1

voice-class sip localhost dns:sip.skype.com

dtmf-relay rtp-nte

ip qos dscp cs5 media

ip qos dscp cs4 signaling

no vad

sip-ua

credentials username XXXXXXX password 7 XXXXXXXXXXXX realm sip.skype.com

authentication username XXXXXXXX password 7 XXXXXXXXXXX realm sip.skype.com

no remote-party-id

retry invite 2

retry register 10

timers connect 100

mwi-server dns:sip.skype.com expires 3600 port 5060 transport udp unsolicited

registrar dns:sip.skype.com expires 3600

sip-server dns:sip.skype.com

connection-reuse

host-registrar

handle-replaces

!

Thank you

please rate all useful information

Thanks to all,

@islam: what does this translation profile do as you mentioned

translation-profile outgoing Skype-out2

@aokanlawon

what about incoming call from skype? or i can use same dial-peer by using incoming called number .

You should configure a seperate inbound dial-peer for incoming calls..

dial-peer voice 1 voip

incoming called number ......... (whatever your dial plan is)

session protocol sip v2

dtmf-relay rtp-nte

no vad

NB: dont use incoming called number . (this is because you have two different protocols)

Thanks again.

Can you please tell me whats CP-PWR-CUBE-1/2/3/4= ?

Do i need to get FL-CUBEE-25 for configuring CUBE on gateway? If so, then does it meant that at one time 25 sip calls will route via skype ?

Anyone please

Hi

1- Regarding to translation rule for outgoing calls , this will be for the appearance for your outgoing calls ANI and this based on your dial-plans.

2-FL-CUBEE-25:Yes,this will be 25 sessions .

3-CP-PWR-CUBE Question:This power will be used as a local adapter for your Cisco IP phones if you do not have a POE switch. I think you wil need to use CP-PWR-CUBE-3 , because 1 & 2 are end of sale.

Thank you

please rate all useful information

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: