Views
Helpful
Replies

Some Questions About Tandberg VC Design

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

As Tandberg Now Part Of Cisco ( which is great ) i wish i can get some answer to some question i have about design a Tandberg VC solusion

1- what is the Min recommended bandwidth for C serise Codecs to have a Resolution of 1080p30

2- as Tandberg now they Only VC support both SIP and H323 registration of endpoints at the same time is it better to use both of them at the same time to take the benefit of both

for eample Zoning with H232 and SIP functions such as Presence !

3- can we limit bandwidth for SIP Endpoints using zones/subzones or this is only for H323 and with SIP links/Pips need to be used ?

4- if there is a Movi clints normally they Register to the VCS expressway externally But if that user is in the internal network do we leave it registered to the expressway VCS or better to reregister to the internal VCS !!

Thank you

3 Replies 3

areitter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1) The recommended bandwidth information for a specific resolutions is provided on the product datasheets. Below the link to the C90 datasheet:

http://www.tandberg.com/collateral/product_brochures/TANDBERG%20Codec%20C90%20Product%20Sheet.pdf

It speficies that for a resolution of 1080p (1920 x 1080) and a frame rate of *up to* 30 frames per second we recommend a minimum bandwidth of 1472kbps. (Plesae note - depending on which codec in the C series a Premium Resoluton Option key may be needed to enable 1080p on the codec)

2) There are still a few video related features that are more mature in H.323 vs. SIP particularly when you are looking at mixed vendor scenarios. Depending on the scenario it may be useful to register the endpoint with both an H.323 and SIP alias.

3) Zones/subzones and links/pipes are independent of the protocol H.323 or SIP. They apply to both protocols.

4) The Movi client can be provisioned with both an "internal VCS" address and and "external VCS" address (i.e. expressway address). This allows Movi to register to the internal VCS when the user is on the internal network and allows Movi to register to an Expressway when the user is on the outside.

Thanks Andrew for this useful answer

regarding the bandwith i double chekced with TANDBERG and i've been told to get 1080p30 you need at least 3.3M this is whtout the network and L2 overhead !

otherwise you will get about 720p if you use less !!

not if you ever used TCX with exchange, this tooll need to be installed in the exchnage server it self, do you know it has any issues on the exchange server itself !

also once we have this tool installed do we need to do any config, settings in the TMS or this tool will dose the jobe !

Regards and thanks

On the bandwith discussion the number provided was a minimum as per the datasheet. This gets into one of those specmanship things. A better place to look for a bit more detailed information regarding bandwidth at various resolutions is the admin guide for the codecs. Here is the link to teh C90 admin guide:

http://www.tandberg.com/collateral/documentation/User_Manuals/TANDBERG%20Profile%20C90%20and%20Codec%20C90%20Administrator%20Guide%20(TC30).pdf

Check out page 32 - It explains the range of bandwidth you can expect for 1080p based on some evnironmental factors - lighting etc and how how you configure the codec. A more "normal" scenario is 1080p30 at 2.5Mbps.

Regarding TCX, I would like to get you in touch with a local technical resource that can explain this in more detail than just back and forth on a forum. Now you mentioned getting support from "tandbreg" folks - do you know a local SE from teh former Tandberg? They would be the right place to explore this topic in more detail. If you don't know a local contact let me know where you are based and I will try to get you connected.

The short answer is that TCX is a server side integration and customers will typically install it on a separate exchange server which is part of the forest. I believe there is some configuration so again getting in touch with a local contact is advised.