cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Speed dial numbers 8851

AdamSand21684
Level 1
Level 1

We are using the 8851 IP Phones and for the speed dials we would like to have a button that does the area code and first 3 digits and then pause to allow the user to enter the last 4 digits.  

Is there anyway to do it?

I tried # and commas in the speed dial to pause but that didn't work.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

So I don't know your going to get what you want via a speed dial... 

Can you go over your use case for this? 

Why not just handle this with a translation pattern that the phone can access?

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm going to assume this is CUCM because you don't mention what you use.

If so, you can try this service parameter, it's global, so everyone would be affected

This parameter specifies whether Cisco CallManager waits for further digits before extending the call when a call is initiated via use of a speed-dial button. If additional digits are not received by the time that the value that is specified in the T302 Timer expires, Cisco CallManager tries to connect the call by using just the speed-dialed digits. Valid values specify True (Cisco CallManager accepts the speed-dial number and awaits further digits) or False (Cisco CallManager immediately extends the call by using the number that is specified in the speed-dial button that the user pressed).
  This is a required field.
  Default: False
HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Java, 

This was news to me can't say I have ever run into this kind of request before.

But if the goal is just to scale 4 digits into 10 why not do a translation that does it automatically...

Yeah, it's not something that you usually see as you'd actually end up losing the speed dial functionality as now you have to wait for IDT to expire before the call is placed, but the parameter is there.

I'd also prefer TPs for short dials, but unless OP explains his use case, the parameter would be what he's looking for.

HTH

java

The reason is this.

1. The 8851 only allows for 3 speed dial buttons even though there are 10 buttons on the phone

2. We have 8 different locations. They all start with 3 of the locations start with 714-834-  and 3 start with 657-622- and then 2 start with 949-476-

So since we only have 3 speed dial buttons I figured it would be good if I could just have those 3 programmed in and then just have to type the last 4 digits of the persons extension.

Kind of sucks that there is not a special char that tells the phone to accept user input after pressing a speed dial button. Like a #### or **** or something.

The setting I mentioned would do what you're asking, but as I mentioned, it will affect everyone who uses speed dials.

You might want to look into site codes + DN to avoid dialing the full E.164 DN, that is what is usually configured to do short dial.

HTH

java

Yeah as I stated before you might want to look at translations that but you need to take into account the rest of your dial plan to make sure your not introduced t.302 into existing patterns.

But if I wanted enable 4 digit intersite dialing by extension that would be how I would do it. Now if those subscriber numbers overlap well Site code would be the way to go for sure which would limit the amount you have to dial before. 

Thanks Java for the knowledge bomb on the speed dial timeout.. and I can see why it is often not used for sure.