Views
Helpful
Replies

SRST Testing

Rohit Khajuria
Level 1
Level 1

HI All

Is this possible to test SRST with the following ways ? Also please tell me if there is any difference in testing normal SRST & SIP SRST.

Method 1

For Example my CCM IP is 10.10.1.24

Add the following route:

ip route 10.10.0.0 255.255.255.0 null0

Method 2

Applying the Access LIst

ip access-list extended ACL-VOIP-CONTROL
deny tcp any any eq 5060
deny udp any any eq 5060
deny tcp any any eq 5061
deny udp any any eq 5061
deny tcp any any eq 2000
deny tcp any any eq 2443
deny udp any any range 16384 32767
permit ip any any

Apply the access control list to the WAN interface

interface X/X
ip access-group ACL-VOIP-CONTROL in

Please let me know if there is any other way to test the SRST .

Regards

Rohit

24 Replies 24

Deji,

Testing a real situation, in my opinion , is the way to go.

What if I test a single site and when a real issue occur, the customer complains issues calling other sites...

I'm telling you that because is something that happened  :)

As Roger said it depends :)

Cheers

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

I do understand you Carlo, however how would you address a multisite deployment.

E.g I have over 300 sites ( like one of my customers). The customer has requested that a new site be added and SRST must be tested..

You cant stop cucm service and put over 300 sites into SRST because you need to test a single site..That would not be smart :) or efficient. You can not put the whole IPT estate into SRST because of one new site..No one would even approve that change.. Hence the need for ACLs that block signalling traffic only for the affected site.

Please rate all useful posts

Yes, As stopping CM service is viable only if we have one site to test but in production scenario there is hardly any cluster with  a single site.

But I am really overwhelmed by you all as I come to know many options to achieve a single thing.

Thanks a lot to all of you again !!!

As said, there are many ways to do almost all things. :)

The main objection I have to stop the CM process is that it will affect all sites at once. This might not be what is wanted, but then again it might. "It depends" is a favourite expression that can be fitted into most discussions.

Response Signature

It's a matter of opinion and personal preference what is the recommended way to put a site into SRST.

If you where to use my suggestion or Ayodeji's depends on other factors in your network, like route redistribution and if the goal is to only test with a subset of phones at the site.

As always there are more than one way to skin a cat, it's at your discretion to select what suits you best from the options you have presented,

Response Signature

Thanks for your reply Roger.

So it doesnt matter if it is normal SRST or SIP SRST. We can apply it on both.

Same procedure for SIP and SCCP SRST. The phones will loose connection to CM and then fail over into SRST.

Response Signature

Hi Roger

Thanks a lot for your reply and the information.

Regards

Rohit

It is a not one size fits all srst scenario.  I agree with the majority here.  Never heard of applying Null route, but I like the idea of it, as you don't have to bring down every site voice comms. What was easiest for me to test all phones at a particular site was to shutdown the VoIP tunnel and then watch ephone registrations on the router. Once phones registered locally would test with staff. Enjoyed reading and commenting. My first post as I prepare for CIPTv2 this Sunday. Thanks. Bo

I would be VERY careful with this method.  If you have a gateway that is running a routing protocol and this propagates it can and likely will take down your path to CUCM for ALL sites. 

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt and the scars.....