Views
Helpful
Replies

Standalone voip router setup

ofwegen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm pretty new to the IPT part of Cisco. I'm planning on buying a Voip router, but am not sure if what I want is possible. See attachment for the setup I'm planning on building.

The Cisco 881 should register itself by the VOIP provider. One telephone number is online that way. Also there is a PSTN line in the house with a different number.

Outgoing calls from the phone in the house should use the VOIP line, unless that's down, then they should be routed to the PSTN line.

Outgoing calls from the fax should use the PSTN line.

Incomming calls on the PSTN line should be routed to the fax.

Incoming calls on the VOIP line should go to the house phone.

Is this possible (standalone) without any additional software/servers?

Thanks for helping!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It depends on what you want to learn. You probably won't be able to do any transcoding or conferencing on that amount of DSPs.

As well, a 1751-V is going to be limited to 12.4(15)T and previous releases, and won't have access to the newer features in 12.4(20)T or later.

As far as plugging an analog telephone in, plugging a line from your provider in, and registering a few IP phones that should be all you need.

I would plug the cards into the DSP calculator to make sure it can run the 4 FXO/FXS ports you want to put into the router.

hth,

nick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

chadlincoln
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, all of that is possible:

The Cisco 881 should register itself by the VOIP provider. One telephone number is online that way. Also there is a PSTN line in the house with a different number.

I assume it is a sip provider. CME can do this.

Outgoing calls from the phone in the house should use the VOIP line, unless that's down, then they should be routed to the PSTN line.

You will use dial-peers with preferences to do this.

Outgoing calls from the fax should use the PSTN line.

You will use cor lists to do this.

Incomming calls on the PSTN line should be routed to the fax.

You will use dial-peers to do this.

Incoming calls on the VOIP line should go to the house phone.

You will use ephone-dn's for this.

Is this possible (standalone) without any additional software/servers?

This is all possible with the correct configuration.

Please rate if this helps.

Does CME run on the 881 router then?

I don't see support for the 881 and CME.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/cme71spc.htm

The 881 is a SRST router. It's meant for failover from CUCM, but I don't believe it supports CME.

You may want to look towards an 1861, UC520, 2600, 1751-V, etc.

-nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your input. My shopping list would now look like:

1x VIC-2FXS

1x VIC-2FXO-M2 or 1x VIC-2FXO-EU

1x PVDM-256K-8 or 2x PVDM-256K-4

1x Cisco 1751-v (128Mb/32Mb)

What voice software runs on the router? (CME/CUCM)? Or should I configure this setup via CLI?

Do I need additional software/servers?

About the PVDM, there can only be 2 simultanious calls, do I need 8 DSP's or will 4 do just fine?

It depends on what you want to learn. You probably won't be able to do any transcoding or conferencing on that amount of DSPs.

As well, a 1751-V is going to be limited to 12.4(15)T and previous releases, and won't have access to the newer features in 12.4(20)T or later.

As far as plugging an analog telephone in, plugging a line from your provider in, and registering a few IP phones that should be all you need.

I would plug the cards into the DSP calculator to make sure it can run the 4 FXO/FXS ports you want to put into the router.

hth,

nick

I'm now searching Ebay for the right hardware, should be possible for around 400 euro's. I want one 256k-8 and one 256k-4 module. I've run my config through the DSP calculator and found no issue's. I will only be using 2 FXS ports and 1 FXO port. Maybe in the future an IP phone.

Thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: