Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Starting a DN range with *1XXXXX

Hi,

we are planning to connect our cucm in europe with the cucm in USA.

We need to look at new dial plan.

US suggests to start *1XXXXX to dial internally from EU to USA. eg, *198765

We suggests to start 82XXXXX to dial internally from EU to USA. eg, 82198765

anyone got experience on this?

I think starting with * will confuse everything as it looks more like wildcard etc

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Any digits including * are acceptable, and there are no issues dialing * from analog devices.

Enterprise dial plan design requires analysis of all locations, DID ranges at each site, system extensions on all clusters, etc, etc.  The industry trend and Cisco's best practices now days are to use +e164 dial plan for all external and internal dialing as nicely described in SRND with some caveats. I have done may global enterprise dial plan designs and implementations and there is no one fits all, especially for existing systems where you may not have the luxury of changing extensions. So, my advise would be to either collaborate with every region and see if you can develop enterprise standard dial plan, or adapt prefix on each side that suits that environment.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are responsible for the system in Europe, you can decide by yourself, and the prefix will be removed when the call is made.

derek.andrew
Level 1
Level 1

The * will create problems if you have analogue phones, or fax machines, connected to vg224 or ata186 gateways.

If you really want to link the world together, you should read the SRND for CUCM. It has all kinds of good ideas.

D

Any digits including * are acceptable, and there are no issues dialing * from analog devices.

Enterprise dial plan design requires analysis of all locations, DID ranges at each site, system extensions on all clusters, etc, etc.  The industry trend and Cisco's best practices now days are to use +e164 dial plan for all external and internal dialing as nicely described in SRND with some caveats. I have done may global enterprise dial plan designs and implementations and there is no one fits all, especially for existing systems where you may not have the luxury of changing extensions. So, my advise would be to either collaborate with every region and see if you can develop enterprise standard dial plan, or adapt prefix on each side that suits that environment.

HTH,

Chris

thank you Chris, the e.164 is good dial plan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: