cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange 7911 Auth Fail problem

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

I've got a 7911 that just isn't playing ball.

It starts it's firmware update (It's stuck trying a firmware update) and downloads jar11 & cnu11 fine.

However, when it comes to apps11, it pauses for a long time just saying "Upgrading", then it *very* briefly flashes up "Auth Fail" then restarts the firmware upgrade process. If you watch a wireshark, it downloads apps11 fine from the TFTP server. In fact, it even starts to download dsp11 from the TFTP server !

Now I'm sure you're all going to say: "Use firmware 8.5.2" Sorry, tried that, still no joy.

This is happening with 8.5.2 & 9.2.1 and both SIP & SCCP images.

Before I admit default, and consign the phone to the bin, any last suggestions ?

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.
22 Replies 22

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

May be try factory reset

Step 1 Unplug the power cable from the phone and then plug it back in.

The phone begins its power up cycle.

Step 2 While the phone is powering up, and before the Applications Menu button flashes on and off, press and hold #.

Continue to hold # until the message LED on the handset flashes on and off in sequence in red.

Step 3 Release # and press 123456789*0#.

You can press a key twice in a row, but if you press the keys out of sequence, the factory reset will not take place.

After you press these keys, the message LED on the handset flashes faster in red and the phone goes through the factory reset process.

Do not power down the phone until it completes the factory reset process and the main screen appears.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00805adaec.html#wp1085546

HTH

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi,

Just another bit of info

From the 9.2.1 firmware release notes

Firmware Upgrade Issues for SCCP

Note For all SCCP firmware upgrades from firmware release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to version 9.2(1) or greater, you must first upgrade your firmware to an intermediate version (8.3(3) - 8.5(2)) then upgrade to 9.2(1).

as acampbell words,, you need internediate fw to solve your issue

be patient with this point to amuze your IP Phone

Regards

As I said in my initial post: "This is happening with 8.5.2 & 9.2.1 and both SIP & SCCP images."

As I said in my initial post "It's stuck trying a firmware update"

Hi,

What firmware version is on the phone prior to the

firmware upgrade.

Regards

Alex

I don't know. The phone is stuck trying to update it's firmware. If I could stop it doing that, it would be less of a brick....

GTG

Try older firmware.

Paolo Bevilacqua wrote:

Try older firmware.

I've tried:

- 8.3.2SR1

- 8.3.2SR4

None of them work. (The closest to working was 8.3.3)

I think I'm going to have to admit defeat and consign the phone to the CallManager in the sky...

:-(

GTG

GTG,

What if you boot the phone so that it onmly has access to the DHCP server (NOT THE TFTP)

Can you then press the setting keys and see what the existing firmware version is.

Regards

Alex

acampbell wrote:

What if you boot the phone so that it onmly has access to the DHCP server (NOT THE TFTP)

Can you then press the setting keys and see what the existing firmware version is.

Once a phone has decided to start the firmware update process, I've never been able to persuade it to stop.

(I was once told there's a key sequence you can use to stop it - but it's never worked for me)

Just to be sure, I restricted the phone to only see a DHCP server, and it's just sitting there on the firmware upgrade screen saying "Upgrading"

GTG

GTG

May be this bug refers to the issue

CSCsh62801 Bug Details
SIP7911 stuck during automated upgrade/downgrade
Symptom:

SIP7911 is stuck during automated upgrade/downgrade. This was seen consistently during 9th,5th,9th and 5th iteration of the script run.

Conditions:

Observed on SIP7911 during upgrade/downgrade from 8-3-0-25S to 8-3-0-26S.

Workaround:

None.

Further Problem Description:

None
StatusStatus
Fixed
(Verified)
Severity Severity
3 - moderate

Last Modified Last Modified
Any Time

Product Product
Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series

Technology Technology

1st Found-In 1st Found-in
8.3(1)

Fixed-In Fixed-in
8.3(0.27)
3.3(5)ES66
3.3(5)SR2b
4.1(3)ES118.1
4.2(3)ES38
4.3(1)ES9.1
4.3(1)SR1a
4.1(3)SR5c
8.4(0.27)
8.4(0.43)

Component(s) Component
sw-phone-7911

Regression Regression
Y

Regards

Alex

As there's no work around, I guess the phone is just a brick now :-(

GTG

GTG

I think the last option would be

cmterm-7911_7906-sip.8-0-3.cop

See if it take that then upgrade.

Probably through more jumps

If not I think we have exhausted this one

Cheers

Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: