Views
Helpful
Replies

Subscriber server cannot start services

themizzz21
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In a CUCM cluster of two servers(6.0.1.20003) the subscriber server stayed offline for 2-3 months.

When they decided to use it again, only NTP and SSH services seems started.

admin:utils service list

Requesting service status, please wait...
System NTP [STARTED]
System SSH [STARTED]
Service Manager is running
Getting list of all services
Service Manager is currently busy, please try again in a few minutes
Primary Node =false

When trying to start any service we have the following message:

admin:utils service start A Cisco DB
Service Manager Response list for list request is NULL

admin:utils service start Cisco Tomcat

Is there anything to do to start services and use the server again?

Thank you very much.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have bootable file for this version, easiest way is to rebuild the sub as the working pub will replicate the current database. 

HTH

Rajan

View solution in original post

Hi,

As Rajan mentioned earlier, the simplest method is to rebuild the Sub and it will sync all configs from Pub. No need to try recovery in your scenario. However, worth reading the Tech Note Shared by Deepak.

You need reachability between PuB and SuB during installation. The Sub needs to authenticate with security password with Sub to resume installation.

I suggest you ship the server to remote location along with installation DVD, provide iLO reachability to server and perform remote installation. Or if you can configure remote subnet in your local office for temp installation of SuB that will work. Avoid installation at one site and change the IP later on the new site

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have bootable file for this version, easiest way is to rebuild the sub as the working pub will replicate the current database. 

HTH

Rajan

Hello Rajan and thank you for the reply,

I have a 4 month old backup of the subscriber server.

Is it good to install cucm from scratch on the sub server and then apply the backup?

Is it necessary that the sub server can reach pub server during installation?

I am saying that because those servers are at a different town.

So i am thinking of doing the work at my place and then send sub server back to them.

Thanks again.

if you apply that old backup, it will create DB replication issues later. So I would say better you rebuild the sub and let the pub take care of replication. Also connection to Pub is mandatory during subscriber rebuild as it will authenticate security password with Publisher during installation in order to be part of the same cluster.

HTH

Rajan

Hi,

As Rajan mentioned earlier, the simplest method is to rebuild the Sub and it will sync all configs from Pub. No need to try recovery in your scenario. However, worth reading the Tech Note Shared by Deepak.

You need reachability between PuB and SuB during installation. The Sub needs to authenticate with security password with Sub to resume installation.

I suggest you ship the server to remote location along with installation DVD, provide iLO reachability to server and perform remote installation. Or if you can configure remote subnet in your local office for temp installation of SuB that will work. Avoid installation at one site and change the IP later on the new site

Rebuild is not simpler than running the Recovery for sure and that should be the first thing before trying to go for a rebuild. But since there is indeed no Recovery Disk available for version 6, in fact nothing is available on CCO for this version. Best option would indeed now be to go ahead with the rebuild of subscriber server.

Publisher reachability is definitely important during the time of subscriber installation, without it the installation will not go through. Do not try the restore option as it will indeed create lot of DB issues.

Regards

Deepak

Hello Deepak,

Yes, I will go on and have the subscriber rebuild.

I'll send client the installation disk and guide a person on customer's site for the procedure.

Thank you very much.

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try to power it down gracefully and then bring it up. Switch the machine down using:

utils system shutdown

Once the machine is shut down completely, remove power cable from back of the server, put it back again and then power it on. Wait for 15 - 20 minutes and check if the services come up. If not, then it will be worth to run a repair using the Recovery Disk, follow the below document for procedure to do that:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/118948-technote-cucm-00.html

Regards

Deepak

Hello Deepak,

I have already shut the server, remove the power cable and start it back again, unfortunately with the same result. The link you posted is for VM servers?

Thank you very much.

It can be followed for MCS server as well. The only thing different you will need to do is that, burn the Recovery Software on a disk and then insert it inside the CD/DVD drive of the MCS server and follow the instructions as mentioned in the doc.

Regards

Deepak

Hi again,

Unfortunately i cannot find at all any software regarding version 6 on cisco.com

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: