Helpful
Replies

Switching

scott.mchale
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Please help.

Currently we have a Cisco 2960 switch connecting to our Dell Equlogic Ps4000x and 3 R710 Esx Hosts.

However I have no switch redudancy etc using one switch.

I would like to connect another switch (stack) if possible but am not sure on how this works.

Does it pull all the same configurations etc.

Many Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

joaniesylvain
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Scott,

This question would be more suited for the LAN section, but here is the answer you might be looking for.

Yes if you stack the switches using the Cisco Stackwise technology the switches use the same configuration and when managing the switch it act has 1 switch.

The interface number will now list the number of the switch, i haven't done it on 2960s yet so i'm not sure whether it would be fa1/1 or fa1/0/1 (or gi).

One thing to note is if you want to stack you need the 2960-S series switch so if your current switch is a standard catalyst you won't be able to use Cisco Stackwise

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Gajanan Pande
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Scott,

This thread shouldn't be opened here in Collaboration space. I suggest you open it at one of the sections mentioned here https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/network-infrastructure

Perhaps this thread itself will be moved over there but if not, please open a new one.

GP.

joaniesylvain
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Scott,

This question would be more suited for the LAN section, but here is the answer you might be looking for.

Yes if you stack the switches using the Cisco Stackwise technology the switches use the same configuration and when managing the switch it act has 1 switch.

The interface number will now list the number of the switch, i haven't done it on 2960s yet so i'm not sure whether it would be fa1/1 or fa1/0/1 (or gi).

One thing to note is if you want to stack you need the 2960-S series switch so if your current switch is a standard catalyst you won't be able to use Cisco Stackwise

HTH

Many Thanks