Views
Helpful
Replies

Syntax for Voice translation rules on a Cisco ASR 1006 vs. Cisco 3925 CUBE

stevepnoble13
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a fairly minor, but annoying issue with configuring some translation patterns on my ASR 1006 that is acting as a CUBE.

I'm attempting to prepend an area code and extension to a 5-digit dialed number. My translation pattern on my CUBE looks like this:

/^3....$/ /55512&/

This replaces an extension (as an example, 34567) a number that's routable - 555-123-4567

However, trying this on my ASR, I cannot use the same pattern, as I get an invalid syntax error if I include the $ in the match pattern. So /^3....$/ gives a syntax error at the start of the first match, but /^3..../ does not.

The issue with leaving it as /^3..../ is that if I have a number that starts with 3 and is MORE than 5 digits, it still prepends the 55512 to that number.

So my question is, what is the appropriate syntax on the ASR to ensure that the translation rule matches only a 5 digit number? Or have I encountered a bug?

5 Replies 5

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Sounds like a defect. What code are you running on the ASR ?

Top of show ver:

border1-rt#sh ver
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 03.13.03.S - Extended Support Release
Cisco IOS Software, ASR1000 Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.4(3)S3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2015 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 28-May-15 14:24 by mcpre

That is a pretty old code. I can look for a defect but the recommendation would be to upgrade to a more recent code, for stability sake.

Actually, it was very simple.

I talked to TAC, they suggested turning off "shell processing full". Apparently these ASRs have a shell interpreter built into them. All I had to do was escape the $ character in my match.

So the correct command was /^3....\$/ /55512&/

Might be useful for anyone else who runs into this problem

Ahhh .... I remember that one. Had encountered once on a 4k. Bad memory, lol! Good that things are sorted out for you now.