Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Talkaphone not displaying location to 911

I recently configured a talkaphone voip-600 on my Cisco call manager version System version: 11.5.1.14900-11 and everything works but 911 says that there is no information concerning the location of the phone, where does that have to be configured in order to display the address information to 911?

15 Replies 15

TomMar1
Level 3
Level 3

Either through CER (Cisco Emergency Responder) and/or you would need your service provider to update their PSALI information regarding the DID assigned to the talkaphone.

Okay that's what I thought and when I look in the CER, ERL->conventional ERL and go to the default ERL settings, it appears to have our locations address entered in the street name field, and   it looks like the Talkaphone is using the default.

What is this PSALI ? By provider I assume you mean either our telcom, 911 or both

What you have in CER is not necessarily what the service provider contains in their PSALI DB.

PSALI is a database that your service provider owns and manages in most cases.  That is where location information (street address and more specific location information, building, floor...) is contained and associated to specific DIDs.  When a 911 call goes out via one of those DIDs the PSAP (911) is presented with the specific location information contained in the PSALI database.

In our environment we use 100s of ELINs, each of those has a specific location associated with them in the providers PSALI DB.  When a call goes out to 911 the agreed upon DID is associated with the call, then the PSAP is able to see the specific location information contained within the PSALI DB.

Okay I found the ELIN numbers that our telcom provider has and it looks like the one I am dealing with is not in that list, but it also appears that there is a default number in the CER so I don't know if it is as simple as having the ELIN list that the telcom has or if I can do that with the default number in the CER system

Do you have an existing ERL that would provide the location for the Talkaphone?  If so assign the Talkaphone to that ERL.  If not I would send the provide a PSALI update and ask them to update the location information for the DID assigned to the Talkaphone. 

It looks like the emergency phone is using the default ERL in the CER and it is set to that correct address for the phone but it does not appear that the number for it are in the telcoms elin list, but I am hesitant to give the telcom that number on the default erl cause I am not sure what is meant by default in this system and if it wold break anything

So the default ERL is the catch-all for devices not assigned to an ERL.  Usually it is very general and has the main address for your location.  I would leave that as is.

What you should do is create a new ERL and add the number assigned to that device as the ELIN.  Assign that ERL to the Talkaphone.  At the same time provide your Service Provider with PSALI update.  They should have a form they can provide you to complete the update.  Typically the form would consist of the NPA and TN (10 digit number you plan to use, the number assigned to the Talkaphone which will also be the ELIN in your case) customer name, street address, location (that is where you will indicate the specific location of your device (Smith Hall, 3rd floor, West side), Main NPA and TN for your company, zip code, account number...

Are you 100% there is not an existing ERL for the location where the Talkaphone is?  If there is it would save you all that trouble above.

Yes when I go to the reports--> call history it show that the extension number (8618 not a ten digits number though I would make the ERL number a different but 10 digit number) of my Talkaphone is using the default ERL name and number. Do I also have to create a Pattern definition in the call manger?

I don't understand why, when using the default ERL that has the correct address why that is not displayed to 911? Is it because the telcom does not have the ERL 10 digit number related to the default?

Yes, you'll need a route pattern in UCM.  Reference an existing pattern.  That pattern should match the Route/Translation Pattern you use in the CER ERL.  That R/T pattern will correlate to the ELIN you plan to use.

Is there a reason why the emergency phone does not show the address listed(the location the emergency phone is really located) in the default ERL to the 911 dispatch

The only thing you are sending out to the provider that is used for 911 location purposes is the calling number.  That is where the PSALI DB comes into play.  When a 911 call is placed the calling number is used as a reference and is checked against the PSALI DB.  The provider inserts the address and location info into the call to the PSAP.  You, as the customer, is not controlling that.  Theoretically it is possible but it is not anything I have seen controlled by the customer. 

Okay that makes sense. So the Route/Translation Pattern--ELIN used for the default  is also listed Hunt pilot number for a set of phones in another office building, I found that through the route plan report, which to me means that for one the person who set up this phone system made a mistake and if I add the Route/Translation Pattern--ELIN used for the default  to our telcom elin list it will break the hunt pilot

ELINs should only be used to route 911 calls and receive 911 call backs so they can be directed to the extension that called 911.

I guess you could do what you are describing is configured but any calls from the default ERL are going to be returned to the hunt pilot and it sounds like the people answering are not going to know anything about the 911 that was placed.  Unless they are getting on site alerts and have a detailed list of what station is at what location.  Even still a detailed location must be provided to comply with RAY BAUM’S Act.

In my environment we do not want ANY calls going out the default ERL if we can avoid it.  We have multiple locations spread across multiple PSAPs, a 911 call from the default ERL could hit a PSAP 45 miles away in a different county.

You should engage someone very familiar with CER configuration, review and correct what has been configured in your organization.

I looked further with my telcom and got a list of all the external numbers they have provided for us and the one used for the hunt pilot and the default ERL is a made up number not provided by our telcom not sure if that is good or bad. What I will end up doing is what you suggested create a new ERL for the emergency phone

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: