Views
Helpful
Replies

Termination of CUCM grace period

alf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

we want to upgrade a CUCM Publisher (MCS-Server) from V7.1(5) offline to V8.5(1) (UCS-Server). After DRS-Restore

we recognized CSCtb86875 (Upgrades are prohibited during License Grace Period). So I want to terminate the grace period

without waiting for 30 days. I know that CUCM V7 is not supported on ESXi, so this step is just to migrate the publisher

database to the V8.5 system without touching the production cluster.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtb86875

The following workaround is described for the Bug-Id above:

Login to the root access and do the following workaround:

1. remove licexpiry.txt from /usr/local/platform/conf/licexpiry.txt.

2. remove license file from /usr/local/cm/conf/licfiles/ccm20090211xxxxx.lic.

Note: this license file, ccm20090211xxxx.lic was offered for the old server.

Can somebody comment on how to perform action 1) above, because the VOS administrator

don´t have capabilities to access this directory and remove the file licexpiry.txt and root

access  is not possible except for TAC.

best regards

Alfred

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

phooghen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Alfred,

You need root access to the CUCM.

Only TAC engineer can have access to the root.

Therefore, you must open a TAC case.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

phooghen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Alfred,

You need root access to the CUCM.

Only TAC engineer can have access to the root.

Therefore, you must open a TAC case.

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One other thing to point out, which you mentioned yourself, 7.x is not supported on VMware.  There are migrartion paths that allow you to get to 8.x properly that are supported.  Even if your current hardware isn't supported on 8.x most platforms allow for a bridged upgrade, meaning your current hardware is allowed to install 8.x so that a backup can be taken, and then that backup be restored to a newly installed UCS 8.x platform.  I've personally seen unexpected results and problems down the road by putting a non supported version on VMware like you're doing (7.x on vmware just to upgrade to get a backup on 8.x).

thx for the comments.

I am aware of the migration path with the bridged upgrade, but customer ist not willing to touch the existing cluster with a major release upgrade, even not for a temporary upgrade to the other partition. To be clear, even if I would have an

additional physical server supporting native CUCM V8.5 (which I do not have at this time), after DRS restore of the publisher to this new server I would run into the same problem with the grace period. The only difference here is, that I could probably relocate with the licence-team the extisting licences from the publisher to this temporary server.

notinstock
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is way after the original post but for those that run across this post there is new information available.  Cisco does support their "JUMP" method or flash cut to minimize risks and downtime to customers.  Please see this address for information on support for migration to 9.x by loading into isolated environment.  https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/collaboration-voice-video/ip-telephony/blog/2013/05/20/drive-to-9

RAFAEL LOPEZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

To fix this is quite simple, jaja not root user or tac case.

*note only on lab and before import any licence

you should make a new ntp server and then delete it.

when you delete it apears a warning "WARNING: Changing this setting will invalidate software license
         on this server. The license will have to be re-hosted."

and

admin:
admin:utils ntp server delete
1: 10.1.1.1
2: 10.160.205.50
a: all
q: quit

Choice: 1

WARNING: Changing this setting will invalidate software license
         on this server. The license will have to be re-hosted.
Continue(y/n):y

Restart NTP (y/n): y

10.1.1.1 will be deleted from the list of configured NTP servers.
Continue (y/n)?y

10.1.1.1 :  deleted successfully.
Restarting NTP on the server.
admin:

and in the web portal.

Regards!

ATT:Rafaga!

PD i have cucm 8.6 and now i can make the upgrade to the cucm 9.1.2

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: