Views
Helpful
Replies

Text based CLID?

carlnewton
Level 3
Level 3

Guys,

Is there any way to get a text based CLI For external numbers, like the alerting name function for IP phone to IP phone?

So for example could I do something so that If I call into an IP Phone from my mobile/cellphone, it will come up with my name and associated telephone number on the display?

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can provide! Its not something I've thought about doing before but would be a really cool feature to be able to use.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jabber can do that but not the physical phone.  In the case of Jabber it will take the ANI and query it's LDAP server to see if an account has that number. In the event that your directory isn't formated the same as the ANI Jabber will transform using the Application Dial Rules and Directory Lookup Rules before doing the lookup. You will also need to set the PhoneNumberMask in the jabber-config.xml file.

If you really wanted it to happen on the phone you would need to do some development.  I can think of two possible ways:

• write a TCL script on the voice gateway that does a lookup and adds that information before sending the call to CUCM. This would probably need to be a local flat-file on the router though.
  • route the call through a CTI application which does an LDAP lookup. Once that application adds the information it could redirect it to the final destination.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

Great answer by Jonathan (+5)

In terms of TCL script, there is already a working script available for purchase at http://ciscoscripts.com/

"Number to Name".

I've used it and it works fine. Your gateway does need to be H.323 rather than MGCP.

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Caller ID Name (CNAM) is a feature you must purchase from your telephone carrier. The only time that CUCM will do this natively for an outside caller is if the ANI matches a Mobile Connect Remote Destination. If it does CUCM will overwrite the external number with the internal DN for that user.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Thanks Jonathan for the swift response!

What I'm asking about here is more of a client side operation rather than carrier side. For example, another Pbx provider who we shall not name will add the calling name to the incoming call display if the number matches one in their equivalent of corp directory.

So if I call in from 12001234 and there is an entry for "zaphod beeblebrox" In the corp directory with that same number, then the name is displayed on the phone. The Pbx is matching the calling number to entries in its own directory and displaying name if it finds a match. Will cucm not perform this in any way?

Jabber can do that but not the physical phone.  In the case of Jabber it will take the ANI and query it's LDAP server to see if an account has that number. In the event that your directory isn't formated the same as the ANI Jabber will transform using the Application Dial Rules and Directory Lookup Rules before doing the lookup. You will also need to set the PhoneNumberMask in the jabber-config.xml file.

If you really wanted it to happen on the phone you would need to do some development.  I can think of two possible ways:

• write a TCL script on the voice gateway that does a lookup and adds that information before sending the call to CUCM. This would probably need to be a local flat-file on the router though.
  • route the call through a CTI application which does an LDAP lookup. Once that application adds the information it could redirect it to the final destination.

Great answer by Jonathan (+5)

In terms of TCL script, there is already a working script available for purchase at http://ciscoscripts.com/

"Number to Name".

I've used it and it works fine. Your gateway does need to be H.323 rather than MGCP.

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

Thank you Barry for recommending my work.

carlnewton
Level 3
Level 3

Thats great, thanks so much for your help guys!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: