Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP Server

I have just added a new server to my cluster for the purpose of being a TFTP server so it will do no call processing.  2 questions about this.  Is it a bad idea to also allow it to do some media services also or should it only be TFTP?  The whole cluster will not be much more than 1000 phones.  Second to do TFTP do I only need to turn on the TFTP service in serviceability or should there be

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Cameron Whitehead,

Please see my comments to your questions:

Is it a bad idea to also allow it to do some media services also or should it only be TFTP?  The whole cluster will not be much more than 1000 phones. 

>> The media resources can reside on the same server as Unified CM or on a dedicated server not running the Unified CM call processing service. If your deployment requires more than the default number of any resource, Cisco recommends that you configure that resource to run on its own dedicated server. If not, then I don't think this is bad idea running TFTP and media services on same server. I have seen many deployments running TFTP and media services together. 

Second to do TFTP do I only need to turn on the TFTP service in serviceability or should there be

- Under Cisco Unified Serviceability, you need to activate TFTP service and make sure it is started and running. 

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

View solution in original post

About question Is it a bad idea to also allow it to do some media services also or should it only be TFTP? 

For a 1000 phones you can run both tftp and media resource on this new node. As @Vaijanath Sonvane @mentioned, if you need more resources it’s better to keep one dedicated node for media.

Second to do TFTP do I only need to turn on the TFTP service in serviceability:- yes that’s enough.

Response Signature

Ammar Saood
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Cameron,

I always prefer keeping TFTP server also for media services such as MOH+ANN etc unless I have a very large cluster, because the files required for media resources will be locally available on the same server. TFTP server hold the following files, 

• Phone configuration files
  • Phone firmware files
  • Certificate Trust List (CTL) files
  • Identity Trust List (ITL) files
  • Tone localization files
  • User interface (UI) localization and dictionary files
  • Ringer files
  • Softkey files
  • Dial plan files for SIP phones

Otherwise, you have to upload the MoH files to the publisher node and any subscriber nodes that are used as MoH servers. Too much to upload and too much to remember during reboots and providing high availability.

Hope this helps,

Please rate & click "accept as solution" if this answered your Question. 

6 Replies 6

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Cameron Whitehead,

Please see my comments to your questions:

Is it a bad idea to also allow it to do some media services also or should it only be TFTP?  The whole cluster will not be much more than 1000 phones. 

>> The media resources can reside on the same server as Unified CM or on a dedicated server not running the Unified CM call processing service. If your deployment requires more than the default number of any resource, Cisco recommends that you configure that resource to run on its own dedicated server. If not, then I don't think this is bad idea running TFTP and media services on same server. I have seen many deployments running TFTP and media services together. 

Second to do TFTP do I only need to turn on the TFTP service in serviceability or should there be

- Under Cisco Unified Serviceability, you need to activate TFTP service and make sure it is started and running. 

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

About question Is it a bad idea to also allow it to do some media services also or should it only be TFTP? 

For a 1000 phones you can run both tftp and media resource on this new node. As @Vaijanath Sonvane @mentioned, if you need more resources it’s better to keep one dedicated node for media.

Second to do TFTP do I only need to turn on the TFTP service in serviceability:- yes that’s enough.

Response Signature

Ammar Saood
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Cameron,

I always prefer keeping TFTP server also for media services such as MOH+ANN etc unless I have a very large cluster, because the files required for media resources will be locally available on the same server. TFTP server hold the following files, 

• Phone configuration files
  • Phone firmware files
  • Certificate Trust List (CTL) files
  • Identity Trust List (ITL) files
  • Tone localization files
  • User interface (UI) localization and dictionary files
  • Ringer files
  • Softkey files
  • Dial plan files for SIP phones

Otherwise, you have to upload the MoH files to the publisher node and any subscriber nodes that are used as MoH servers. Too much to upload and too much to remember during reboots and providing high availability.

Hope this helps,

Please rate & click "accept as solution" if this answered your Question. 

tknapp
Level 1
Level 1

Cameron, could you share the document you used to deploy the TFTP server?   I am tasked to deploy a CUCM as a TFTP this month.

Thank you.

Activate only TFTP service on that Node. Remaining services dont activate. 

Response Signature

I just looked at the SRND

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: