cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The "?" Button on Cisco 7945G phone - ability

mmedwid
Level 3
Level 3

Is there any way to have the "?" in the center of the four other buttons dial a specified number?

I was thinking that if I could program it to call the Help Desk that would be kind of cool.  Have

a "?", press the "?".  As it is it's a bunch of URLs not so useful to any of my folks.  Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sorry Chris, I repectfully disagree

The "Help" Button is mapped to the "URL Information" configured in Enterprise Paramters (or directly against the phone)

If you create a small web applicaiton (even a static page) with the following:

If you replace the "1234" with your chosen destination number, when the user presses the help button the phone will dial that number.

Note: What ever you are using to host the above XML you need to make sure it responds with a content type of 'text/xml' or the phone will reject it.

Thanks

Stephen Welsh

CTO

http://www.unifiedfx.com

View solution in original post

Yes, since that goes in the SEP.cnf.xml file, you need to reset the phones for them to get the new info.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Great news!

Glad you got it working.

I'm afraid the way the help button is implimented the URL the phone waits for you to press a second button (or timeout and pull the default help page) as this is designed to allow the end user to pres help and then a button on the phone to get contextual help.

I had a look and I can't find a parameter in CUCM to change the timeout, that would be the only way to prevent the delay before placing the call.

Thanks

Stephen Welsh

CTO

11 Replies 11

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Start mentioning system and version you're using.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, the ? mark is for Help and cannot be programmed as anything else.

Chris

Sorry Chris, I repectfully disagree

The "Help" Button is mapped to the "URL Information" configured in Enterprise Paramters (or directly against the phone)

If you create a small web applicaiton (even a static page) with the following:

If you replace the "1234" with your chosen destination number, when the user presses the help button the phone will dial that number.

Note: What ever you are using to host the above XML you need to make sure it responds with a content type of 'text/xml' or the phone will reject it.

Thanks

Stephen Welsh

CTO

Stephen,

do you mind to break down this work in steps. I am sorry I am slow learner and need yo be guided step by step. Do you have a time?

When putting this URL into URL Information in Enterprise Parameters - is it necesary to reboot the phones or do something else so as to effect the change?

Yes, since that goes in the SEP.cnf.xml file, you need to reset the phones for them to get the new info.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

And the results are..

When I press the "?" one time I get the message "Choose an option or paulse for help."

If I press "?" two times or wait a few seconds after pressing it once - the XML code is displayed on the screen. However nothing happens in terms of dialing. Anything I obviously botched?

It's working well now.  I mistakenly pointed to a .html doc that I later replaced by .xml and now it dials just as wanted.  The only nit-pick is that I have to press ? twice or press it once and wait a few seconds while it has that "Choose and option or pause" business.  Any thought on that?  Thank you!  This will be a really nice feature for my users even if they have to press ? twice.  :-)

Great news!

Glad you got it working.

I'm afraid the way the help button is implimented the URL the phone waits for you to press a second button (or timeout and pull the default help page) as this is designed to allow the end user to pres help and then a button on the phone to get contextual help.

I had a look and I can't find a parameter in CUCM to change the timeout, that would be the only way to prevent the delay before placing the call.

Thanks

Stephen Welsh

CTO

Very cool none-the-less.  Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: