Views
Helpful
Replies

Timer for SIP trunks in Route Group

Sergey 1907
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

I have two SIP trunks in Route Group Configuration with Distribution Algorithm is Top Down. But the switching time is long. What timer should be set?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

By switching time, I assume you mean the time it takes to try the second trunk if the first one is out of service.  If so the two settings you need to tweak are "Retry Count for SIP Invite" which defaults to 6.  I set this to two.  And "SIP Trying Timer", this defaults to 500ms which may be OK, but you can reduce this if you have little latency between CUCM and the gateways.

Something to be aware of is how these interact.  CUCM sends an Invite, if it does not get a "Trying" within the given time it sends another Invite but this time it waits twice as long.  So the default is absurdly long - 6 retries means seven in total with delays of 500ms+1 second+2 seconds+4 seconds+8 seconds+16 seconds before it moves on to the next gateway.

You can also enable Options Ping on the trunks, then if the gateway is down the trunk goes out of service and calls will hunt on straightaway.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

By switching time, I assume you mean the time it takes to try the second trunk if the first one is out of service.  If so the two settings you need to tweak are "Retry Count for SIP Invite" which defaults to 6.  I set this to two.  And "SIP Trying Timer", this defaults to 500ms which may be OK, but you can reduce this if you have little latency between CUCM and the gateways.

Something to be aware of is how these interact.  CUCM sends an Invite, if it does not get a "Trying" within the given time it sends another Invite but this time it waits twice as long.  So the default is absurdly long - 6 retries means seven in total with delays of 500ms+1 second+2 seconds+4 seconds+8 seconds+16 seconds before it moves on to the next gateway.

You can also enable Options Ping on the trunks, then if the gateway is down the trunk goes out of service and calls will hunt on straightaway.

Sergey 1907
Level 1
Level 1

Yes! You are right: System -> Service Parameter > Clusterwide Parameters (Device - SIP)

Thanks