cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TRAI Regulation to operate Jabber Softphone in India

fahim.haidar
Level 1
Level 1

We have a site running on Cisco Voice Gateway (Router).

We want to register this Gateway to outside India based CUCM Cluster but we will continue to use local PRI (connected on local gateway) for PSTN dialling outside world.

Would need advice & suggestion to enable Cisco Jabber for Intranet/Internal calling inside the Enterprise cloud over the WAN.

For outside world dialling we will continue to use PRI lines connected on the local getway at site.

At any given point of time the PSTN calls will not merge or transfer to internal VoIP call by enabling Geo logical partitions.

Wanted to check if this is legally permitted in India as per TRAI guidelines.

Any quick suggestion or advice would be deeply appreciated?

4 Replies 4

Jitender Bhandari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fahim,

See below for details.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12531631/trai-india-regulations-regarding-voip

(Rate if it helps)

JB

Thanks for responding but my question is different..

Basically I want to validate from TRAI standpoint that can I register my Cisco local Gateway to CUCM Cluster (Outside India) & make Interoffice communication by using private cloud globally by using Cisco Jabber as softphone.

For PSTN calls I am ok to use local PRI as source of communication to make external calling.

I want this requirement to be legally vetted before we execute the same.

Any suggestion/article that support this requriement would be really helpful.

Hi Fahim,

Location of CUCM cluster doesn't matter. Please check the following link and let us know if you still have any questions.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/12539601/trai-india-regulations-voipip-telephony

- Vivek

Fahim,

Yes you can connect a voice gateway towards a CUCM cluster (outside india). Instead of using a VGW, why dont you put a subscriber at your site locally since registration will happen locally rather going through the WAN.

The only thing you need to make sure you set the geolocations perfectly so that PSTN and VOIP dont merge!

Does that answer your question?

My two cents,

Aby