cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transcode SIP trunk

martinbuffleo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SIP trunk provider that only supports g.711.

I would like my branch offices to use G.729 until they hit my core then Trancode to G.711 to pass down the SIP trunk.

Can any one advise me how to acheive this please?

7 Replies 7

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming you already have a transcoder registered to your CUCM, you'll want to set MTP required on your SIP trunk to set the MTP prefered codec to g711.  Make sure that the region mapping between your SIP trunk and Xcoder are g711 and the xcoder to branch phone is g729.  An Xcoder is an MTP also so it can be allocated for this purpose.  This also enables early offer on your SIP trunk to the provider by having MTP required selected.

I don't have a transcoder set up yet. My enviroment is two CCM servers in a cluster with one each datacenter then a Cisco router providing my PSTN breakout via PRI and MGCP.

The SIP trunk is to migrate outbound calls away from PRI as they cost to much, so i should have capacity on that router to handle some voice processing but still need the router for inbound calls.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you using a CUBE? You can configure the CUBE to transcode.

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not using CUBE as my SIP trunk provider supports IP authentication.

I Do have a router that I am currently using for PRI breakout via MGCP could I use that hardware?

Yes you can as long as you have enough DSP resources for transcoding.

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

So just to be clear I can run both the MGCP service and the Transcode service on the same router at the same time?

I'm going to set the Router as per this guide http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a008084fe1f.shtml

HI

Yes you can use same router as MGCP gateway and also use it for Transcode service

Regards

Ronak Patel

Rate helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.