cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transform mask question

Colin Higgins
Level 2
Level 2

I have Cisco UCM set up with a number of remote sites. When someone calls from Chicago to a Baltimore number, for instance, the route pattern is configured to apply the calling party transfrom mask of the Baltimore general number.

This means if someone in Baltimore tried to call us back, they call Baltimore and not Chicago.

We want call originating from Chicago to have the Chicago general number, even when going through the Baltimore gateway.

What is the best way to do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are probably a few different ways of doing this; here's one. Set the External Phone Number mask on the Directory Numbers of each site and remove it from wherever you have it set currently (likely either the gateway/trunk or the route group on the route list). Any Chicago-based DN will always send the general number for Chicago based on the assigned External Phone Number Mask field regardless of the chosen gateway. Likewise for Baltimore.

You can watch the gateway to ensure this is happening properly using the debug isdn q931 command or the Dialed Number Analyzer within CUCM.

Also note that you will need cooperation from each carrier for this. Specifically, they will need to not filter your ANI values for outbound calls. Some carriers (more typically CLECs) do this without issue while others (more typically ILECs) refuse.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are probably a few different ways of doing this; here's one. Set the External Phone Number mask on the Directory Numbers of each site and remove it from wherever you have it set currently (likely either the gateway/trunk or the route group on the route list). Any Chicago-based DN will always send the general number for Chicago based on the assigned External Phone Number Mask field regardless of the chosen gateway. Likewise for Baltimore.

You can watch the gateway to ensure this is happening properly using the debug isdn q931 command or the Dialed Number Analyzer within CUCM.

Also note that you will need cooperation from each carrier for this. Specifically, they will need to not filter your ANI values for outbound calls. Some carriers (more typically CLECs) do this without issue while others (more typically ILECs) refuse.

Do you mean use the external directory number mask on each phone line (in phone configuration) instead of the transform on the router-pattern?

Yes.

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

The best way to manage this is by using digit manipulation at the route list, rather than at the route pattern, level.

Set up your masks on your individual extensions.  On the route pattern itself, you can check the box for use external number mask.  But don't do your digit manipulation here.

Create a route list specific for what you need, and add the appropriate route groups to it.  Apply the specifics of what you need for digit manipulation when you build out the route list.  Point your route pattern at it, and you're done!

Cliff

ok, let's say I have a route pattern 9.1312XXXXXXX that is associated with a Route List, and that list contains a Route Group with a couple gateways in it.

It is my understanding that the call manager will look at this pettern first and then decide how to route it.

So the question is: how do I tell it

a) if you are coming from Baltimore, use the calling party mask of the Baltimore office

b) if you are coming from Chicago, use the Chicago mask

if the call is headed to 312, it is going to use the Chicago gateway

so I am a little confused on how to do this (aside from taking the mask off of the pattern and using the line mask)

In Clifford's suggestion you will need to have separate route patterns (and related route lists) for phones in Baltimore vs. phones in Chicago. This is will work but I expect will result in a high level of duplicate configuration due to TEHO in your environment. As you add sites this would get exponentially more complex.

If I have one UCM server in Chicago that Baltimore and Chicago uses, how would I create 2 identical route patterns and differentiate them between the sites?

In other words, I would have to have 2 patterns that say 9.1312XXXXXXX and somehow have Baltimore use one and Chicago the other. Am I understading this correctly?

Assuming your dial plan follows other SRND recommendations (namely that all routing is done on the Device CSS while all blocking is done on the Line CSS), you would create two different device-level CSSes. Each would contain different off-net routing partition(s). These two different partitions would have a different set of route patterns within them.

ok, I understand now

duplicate route patterns are allowed if they are associated with different partitions. The partitions are then loaded into specific calling search spaces which are then assigned to devices or lines.

If a caller in Baltimore calls a 312 number, he will use the CSS assigned to his phone, which contains a partition that has the route pattern for 312. That pattern will then have digit manipulation assigned to it. A caller in Chicago will have a different CSS with different partitions assigned to it, and thus will have a different transform mask.

thanks!

Correct.

Or you can just bulk update the directory numbers' External Phone Number Mask for each site instead. Unless I'm missing something that will be a lot less work for the same end result. BAT > Phones > Add/Update Lines > Update Lines.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: