Views
Helpful
Replies

translate 68.9@ to 8.@

STACY WOOD
Level 1
Level 1

I hope this is in the right forum.

We have a Cisco CallManager 8.5 connected to a Nortel PBX. 

To dial out from a Cisco IP phone >> CallManager >> PBX >> PSTN, it is set up to dial 68.9XXXXXXX for a 7 digit local call.

Somehow I need to magically translate the 68.9 to a 8.  Basically upper management does not want users to have to dial the 68.9 to get an outside line.  Instead they want to dial just 1 digit. 

I've looked at translation patterns and route patterns I don't see a way to do this.  The pattern "68.9" works, the 68 sends the call to the PBX, and the ".9" tells the pbx to route it out an outside line.  I can't change these things.  So somehow I need to transform a single digit to the format "68.9"

To call a Nortel phone from a Cisco phone we dial 68XXXX - and have translation patterns created for the Nortel extension so that users only have to dial XXXX.  So Management believes we can do something similar with outbound calls by dialing just an 8 for example and getting an outside PBX line and then dial the external #.

Any help on this greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

jabritt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to adjust your dial-plan to make this easier. If your original pattern was ending with a 8 (88888XXXXXXX) you could just drop the proceeding digits.

If there is a GW or  a CUBE you could make that happen there.

But your life would be easier if your dial-plan didn't make it difficult. :P

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not sure I'm following what you want, but if you simply want to dial/send 8 + 9 + 7 digits, why don't you simply configure 8.XXXXXXX, drop pre-dot, prefix 9, and send to the other PBX??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Build a translation pattern such as 9XXXXXXX, that prefixes 68 and assign a CSS to this TP that has access to the existing 68.9XXXXXXX RP. This way when users dial 9 + 7 digits CUCM will prefix 68 to it and then route via the existing route.

If you need to do this for additional patterns such as 68.91XXXXXXXXXX, you do the same via TP such as 91XXXXXXXXXX.

Obviously as with any dial plan changes you need to review your existing dial plan to ensure no overlaps get created.