Views
Helpful
Replies

Translation Pattern for DDI range

CUCM55120
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We currently have CUCM 10.5 and a CUBE/SIP setup and are looking at ways to stop users from dialling our DDIs from internal phones and being routed out to the PSTN and back in to our organisation (from what I understand this is known as tromboning?).

My understanding is this can be achieved with a translation pattern? I have read up on translations and found some good material and a tester app but it is more relating to CME I believe as it seems the patterns are written a bit differently.

Example:

Our DDI range 020 8555 2000 to 020 8555 7999

Our internal extensions are 6XXXX (mapping to 020 8555 XXXX)

Would the correct pattern to catch these be 90208555[2-7]XXX translated to 6XXXX?

I know it would catch the right numbers but would it translate correctly?

Using the guides I found for CME I came up with /90208555\([2-7]...)/ /6\1/ which seems to work ok when I test it but I am not quite sure how to write this for CUCM. Unfortunately I don't have a test environment in CUCM to test this.

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rajkumar Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If you have a CUCM in your setup then just create translation pattern in your cucm.

TP == 0208555[2-7]XXX OR 90208555[2-7]XXX

Partition == TP_PT

Calling Search Space ==  should be one which contains the partition to dial 6XXXX OR use originator calling search space.

Called party transform mask == 6XXXX

make sure you have the CSS applied on the Phones containing the TP_PT and it should in higher priority list.

In this way the call will remain inside the CUCM always.

Regards,

Raaj

View solution in original post

As I see keeping it separate is always best practice. It helps to achieve priority as well within CSS contained partition.

However in your scenario even if you keep in same internal PT, I think it will hit this first and match the TP rather then going to the PT containing the PSTN RP.

My advice would be separate, however it would work in your scenario with same PT.

Regards,

Raaj

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rajkumar Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If you have a CUCM in your setup then just create translation pattern in your cucm.

TP == 0208555[2-7]XXX OR 90208555[2-7]XXX

Partition == TP_PT

Calling Search Space ==  should be one which contains the partition to dial 6XXXX OR use originator calling search space.

Called party transform mask == 6XXXX

make sure you have the CSS applied on the Phones containing the TP_PT and it should in higher priority list.

In this way the call will remain inside the CUCM always.

Regards,

Raaj

Many thanks for the reply.

Just wondering about the partition. Majority of our translation patterns are in a partition that contains all our extension numbers, would the translation work ok being in this partition? Is there a design benefit to creating a separate partition for all translations? Our partitions and CSS are a bit of a mess as they were set up by a 3rd party some time ago and the structure of our phone system has changed a lot since.

Thanks.

As I see keeping it separate is always best practice. It helps to achieve priority as well within CSS contained partition.

However in your scenario even if you keep in same internal PT, I think it will hit this first and match the TP rather then going to the PT containing the PSTN RP.

My advice would be separate, however it would work in your scenario with same PT.

Regards,

Raaj

It worked perfectly BTW. I was a little worried as looking at translations on CME it seemed you had to specify where it would chop up the number and then insert the digits in to the translation but it seems CUCM is a bit more intelligent. I wasn't sure it was going to understand moving the [2-7]XXX over to XXXX and instead just copy over 3 digits instead of 4.

Thanks!

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The best way to test this in CUCM is to used the dialed number analyzer that is accessible thru the CUCM web portal.  I think you got it with your TP.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: