cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Translation Pattern Question

B_VOIP_NE
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question regarding translation patterns.  First, what is the CSS field used for within a translation pattern?  How does this affect call routing?  When configuring a translation pattern a partition is selected so why is there also a CSS field?  

One other question, what are blank translation patterns used for?  I have one that has a translation pattern, partition selected, a custom CSS however, the bottom portion (Calling Party Transformation / Connected Party / Called Party Transofrmation are all blank.  What is this translation pattern doing?  The partition being used is our main partition for all internal lines.  I just can't figure out what the CSS is used for and how it comes into play?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

have a question regarding translation patterns.  First, what is the CSS field used for within a translation pattern? 

*The calling search space in a translation pattern is used the same way any CSS is. It is a list of what that translation pattern has access to.  Think of it this way, If I have a phone with extension 1000 and I want anytime someone who calls 2000 to call it.  I would create a translation pattern that change 1000 into 2000. Now say 1000 is in Partition_Internal .  The translation pattern for 2000 that turns it into 1000 could be in another partition or in Partition_Internal but would need a CSS that has access to Partition_Internal in it.

How does this affect call routing? 

*See above depends on your overall dial plan.

When configuring a translation pattern a partition is selected so why is there also a CSS field?  

*Partition and CSS are not one and the same.  A CSS is a list of partition, so just assigning something into the same partition would not enable you to dial it, unless your utilizing the null partition, as everything has access to the null partition often know as the <none> partition.  It is a best practice not to use the <none> partition in my opinion.

One other question, what are blank translation patterns used for? 

*blank translation patterns are often used to match anythings, see plars, or see hot dial for more information on it.

It can also be used for inbound call blocking with a translation pattern that route next hope by calling number for mgcp gateway where it can't be done on the router itself. 

I have one that has a translation pattern, partition selected, a custom CSS however, the bottom portion (Calling Party Transformation / Connected Party / Called Party Transofrmation are all blank.  What is this translation pattern doing?  The partition being used is our main partition for all internal lines.  I just can't figure out what the CSS is used for and how it comes into play.

*Run a dependancy check on CSS, find out what partition are in, then check the partition it should become clear to you. If not post screen shots of the translation pattern, CSS, and all route patterns in those partitions. That would be the only sure fire way to tell you what it is doing.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

have a question regarding translation patterns.  First, what is the CSS field used for within a translation pattern? 

*The calling search space in a translation pattern is used the same way any CSS is. It is a list of what that translation pattern has access to.  Think of it this way, If I have a phone with extension 1000 and I want anytime someone who calls 2000 to call it.  I would create a translation pattern that change 1000 into 2000. Now say 1000 is in Partition_Internal .  The translation pattern for 2000 that turns it into 1000 could be in another partition or in Partition_Internal but would need a CSS that has access to Partition_Internal in it.

How does this affect call routing? 

*See above depends on your overall dial plan.

When configuring a translation pattern a partition is selected so why is there also a CSS field?  

*Partition and CSS are not one and the same.  A CSS is a list of partition, so just assigning something into the same partition would not enable you to dial it, unless your utilizing the null partition, as everything has access to the null partition often know as the <none> partition.  It is a best practice not to use the <none> partition in my opinion.

One other question, what are blank translation patterns used for? 

*blank translation patterns are often used to match anythings, see plars, or see hot dial for more information on it.

It can also be used for inbound call blocking with a translation pattern that route next hope by calling number for mgcp gateway where it can't be done on the router itself. 

I have one that has a translation pattern, partition selected, a custom CSS however, the bottom portion (Calling Party Transformation / Connected Party / Called Party Transofrmation are all blank.  What is this translation pattern doing?  The partition being used is our main partition for all internal lines.  I just can't figure out what the CSS is used for and how it comes into play.

*Run a dependancy check on CSS, find out what partition are in, then check the partition it should become clear to you. If not post screen shots of the translation pattern, CSS, and all route patterns in those partitions. That would be the only sure fire way to tell you what it is doing.

Thank you for your help and information!

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This transaltion pattern with no called party transformation, seems like a dirty way to have a pattern extend out into a CSS that, the calling phone that hits the translation pattern has no access to, This should be avoided at all cost as it makes your dial plan super hard to oversee

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thank you for your help.  It appears a line CSS was set that wouldn't allow this call to proceed and this translation pattern into a different CSS is what is allowing it to work but yes, very hard to follow.

Yes! get rid of it if you can, cos it is essentially only use to expand the CSS by means of a TP

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.