cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Translation Pattern Wildcard Match

dgood1234
Level 1
Level 1

Our organization uses 5 digit internal extensions throughout. Our CEO would like the ability to dial any 5 digit extension in our organization but wants his caller id to be shown as his name and the extension of his secretary – basically masking his 5 digit extension. I believe the simplest way to achieve this is to create a Translation Pattern, but I’m having an issue trying to match the wildcards in a TP in CUCM7.1.5. At this stage I have set up a new Partition and CSS just for the CEO’s phone and placed a test phone in the new CSS. I then created a TP which is where I run into a problem.

In the TP I have selected the proper partition and in the Calling Party Transformations section I have listed the Calling Party Transform Mask as the secretary extension (we’ll say 55555 for this example). When I use an exact Translation Pattern match (say 12345) the translation works as I would expect (when I dial 12345 from the test phone, the caller ID shows as 55555). However, when I use any wildcards in the Translation Pattern (i.e. XXXXX) the translation does not occur. Now when I dial 12345 the true caller ID number shows instead of the translated number.

I’m basically looking for a catch all rule from the CEO’s phone that will translate to 55555. I’m guessing I’m overlooking something simple here – any assistance? Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What you should use is calling party transformation pattern.  What you want is when the CEO's phone makes a call his caller id is masked..So configure calling party xformation pattern and change the mask to the secretarys phone. Ensure that the partition assigned to the xformation pattern is reachable from the CSS of all the phones. Then you need to decide if you want to use calling party xformation css on the phone or device pool css. I suggest you use device pool css since you want it for all the phones. Ensure you configure the apprioriate css there

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Thanks for the response aokanlowan - I will try a calling party transformation pattern a little later today and post the results.

I set up a calling party transformation pattern with the same results. The issue seems to be in matching the dialed pattern or Translation Pattern field. In my testing the pattern is matched only when it's exact and not when wildcards are used. See the first attached screen shot where the pattern is '12345'. When this is applied it works as would be expected and the caller ID on the receiving phone shows 55555. But, on the second attached screenshot using wildcards, when 12345 is dialed the caller ID shows as the number on the phone and not the translated value. For some reason the wildcards don't seem to match.

I've tried various wildcard patterns such as XXXXX, 1234X, and [0-8]XXXX - none work. The last one is the one I'd really like to use. Other thoughts or suggestions?

Calling party xformation pattern does not m atch the called number. It matches the calling number....What you want is to mask the calling number regardless of what number is called. If the extension of your CEO is 5000, you want every time he makes a call, his secretary's number to be displayed eg 5001..

Setup a calling party xformation pattern: 5000

mask:5001

Thats what i suggested earlier...

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: