Views
Helpful
Replies

UC 7.1 to 8.5 Upgrade

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello All,

I have upgraded our Unity Connection from 7.1.3 to 8.5.1. The log file shows the upgrade has been completed. See the message below:

02/13/2012 03:05:49 upgrade_install.sh|Upgrade Complete -- (0)|<LVL::Info>

Successfully installed UCSInstall_UCOS_8.5.1.13900-5.sgn.iso

The system upgrade was successful.  A switch version request has been submitted.  This can take a long time depending on the platform and database size.  Please continue to monitor the switchover process from the Cisco Unified Communications OS Platform CLI.  Please verify the system restarts and the correct version is active.

After upgrade the output of the show version active and inactive is:

admin:show version active

Active Master Version: 7.1.3.10000-11

Active Version Installed Software Options:

ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.0.cop

admin:

admin:

admin:show version inactive

Inactive Master Version:

Inactive Version Installed Software Options:

ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.0.cop

Here's what I see when I go to the OS admin page to swith the version manually:

Status

Informational Message    Status: Ready

Installed Versions

Active Version     7.1.3.10000-11

Inactive Version     7.1.3.10000-11

Could you please let me know what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

MK

21 Replies 21

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

This is the error I receive when I try to switch the version from CLI.

admin:utils system switch-version

Active Master Version: 7.1.3.10000-11

Inactive Master Version:

If you are switching to an earlier release, you must run:

utils dbreplication reset all

from the publisher after all the nodes are switched over.

Do you really want to switch between versions ?

Enter (yes/no)? yes

Switching Version and Restarting the Appliance ...

Switch version duration can vary depending on the database size

and platform configuration.  Please continue to monitor the

switchover process from here.

Waiting .................................................................................................

Operation failed

ERROR: Sync after switch version failed

admin:

Have you tried performing the upgrade again??

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Yes I have tried at least 5 times but everytime the same error. Is this a bug?

Thanks,

MK

Any help will be greately appriciated.

Thanks,

MK

srichardson
Level 4
Level 4

Do you have any language localizations installed?

No I don't. Do I need to install any?

Thanks,

MK

No you don't.  I recently had a similar failure with 8.6.1 to 8.6.2 upgrade and had to uninstall any locales first.

I notice you have "ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.0.cop" installed.  This file is only for upgrades to version 8.6 as the O/S also is upgraded.  I'm not sure if that could be causing you a problem.  If you did in fact install that, I would uninstall it and try your upgrade again.

How do I uninstall the "ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.0.cop"?

Thanks,

MK

I did not know the answer to this until just now.  I found the following post: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2034456.  If you have a contract, you might want to open a TAC case before taking any action to at least make sure I've even set you on the right path.

The only other idea I have is to actually upgrade to 8.6.  I'm not sure your rationale for upgrading, but 8.5 was not good for my last installl due to severe issues with failover to the partner server and also outdial notification failures.  8.6 has been better.  If you're interested, I can go on, but let me know your reasons, too.

Best of luck.

The only reason that I am going with 8.5 is because 8.6 is requiring an external 128GB USB device to be attached to the server. It's becasue of our current sever model and I am remote and have no physical access to the servers.

I guess my only option is to find a USB device and someone local to go and attach it.

Is there any way that I can force the installation without connecting the USB device? This is a lab environement.

Thanks,

MK

You've got me now.  The docs also say you can use an external hard drive (USB) if you have that instead.  I find myself wondering if the install will allow you to continue without saving messages/greetings or simply halt.  Sorry I can't answer any further.  I'll watch this post to see how you've faired.

Thanks for taking the time and replying to my post.

MK

Is this a standalone CUCM or CUCMBE??

Also, just our of curiosity, have you tried upgrading to something else?? let's say a 7.1(5) release and see if that works??

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

This is Unity Connection 7.1.3.

I tried to upgrade to 7.1.5 with the same error message. I think this is because I have installed "ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.0.cop" .

MK