Views
Helpful
Replies

UC 7.1 to 8.5 Upgrade

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello All,

I have upgraded our Unity Connection from 7.1.3 to 8.5.1. The log file shows the upgrade has been completed. See the message below:

02/13/2012 03:05:49 upgrade_install.sh|Upgrade Complete -- (0)|<LVL::Info>

Successfully installed UCSInstall_UCOS_8.5.1.13900-5.sgn.iso

The system upgrade was successful.  A switch version request has been submitted.  This can take a long time depending on the platform and database size.  Please continue to monitor the switchover process from the Cisco Unified Communications OS Platform CLI.  Please verify the system restarts and the correct version is active.

After upgrade the output of the show version active and inactive is:

admin:show version active

Active Master Version: 7.1.3.10000-11

Active Version Installed Software Options:

ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.0.cop

admin:

admin:

admin:show version inactive

Inactive Master Version:

Inactive Version Installed Software Options:

ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.0.cop

Here's what I see when I go to the OS admin page to swith the version manually:

Status

Informational Message    Status: Ready

Installed Versions

Active Version     7.1.3.10000-11

Inactive Version     7.1.3.10000-11

Could you please let me know what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

MK

21 Replies 21

OK, I did found some problem with upgrades on CUC but thought this was CUCM, but the problem indeed might be that the cop file you installed which is only meant for 8.6 upgrades has locked down your ability to upgrade to only 8.6 releases right now.

Big problems is, there's no going back. There's no way to uninstall that (or pretty much anything other than languages), there's already an enhancement request for that but I don't think we'll see it soon.

Other than doing the 8.6 upgrade you're looking at a reinstall to get rid of that cop file.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Java,

I have no problem moving to 8.6 but one of the requirements is to connect a 128GB USB device to the server which will be impossible for me as I am remote to the servers and got nobody. Is there a way that I can force the upgrade without connecting the USB device? There will be no harm as this is a lab envirnement.

Thanks,

MK

To be the best of my knowledge there's no way around that. Some things it really doesn't matter if it's for a lab or a production network you can't just get around, like the NTP, which is mandatory during install.

Since all the CUC data is stored in the USB during the change from HW RAID to SW RAID, even if this was possible, you would get a blank server. For that matter you might just then do a fresh 8.6 install and bypass the need for the USB.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Java,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

MK - If you have to reinstall, which does sound like the fastest path, remember that you can actually make it pretty painless if you do a COBRAS export/import.

Stephanie

COBRAS is the why that I am going with but my problem is that i can't get a bootable 8.6 and as I said I am remote to the servers and have nobody local. Even if I get the bootable 8.6, how can I reinstall it from remote? Does the server allow me to do it remotely? If so, what is the command?

Thanks,

MK

Hi MightyKing,

We are looking at doing the same upgrade.  We have a single publisher/subscriber running 7.1.3 as well as a single Publisher Unity Connection server running 7.0.2 and Cisco Emergency Responder 7.1.3.  There are several questions that I have pertaining to our production environment.  We have roughly 300 phones.  Can we do the upgrade to the CUCM servers while the CUCN and CER servers stay at said state versions?  What effects of the CUCN (7.0.2) and CER(7.1.3) running with CUCM servers running 8.6.2a?

2.  Do we have to upgrade all four servers at once?

3.  Can one PRI run two cluster environments running on two different versions?

Old is 7.1.3 and New 8.6.2a?

Thanks

Scott L.

Java,

We are looking at doing the same upgrade.  We have a single publisher/subscriber running 7.1.3 as well as a single Publisher Unity Connection server running 7.0.2 and Cisco Emergency Responder 7.1.3.  There are several questions that I have pertaining to our production environment.  We have roughly 300 phones.  Can we do the upgrade to the CUCM servers while the CUCN and CER servers stay at said state versions?  What effects of the CUCN (7.0.2) and CER(7.1.3) running with CUCM servers running 8.6.2a? 

2.  Do we have to upgrade all four servers at once?

3.  Can one PRI run two cluster environments running on two different versions? 

Old is 7.1.3 and New 8.6.2a?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: