Views
Helpful
Replies

UC 8.5 ESXi 4.1 and AMD Opteron

ahochau_2
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have built my home lab and I used AMD Opteron processors because I couldn't afford the Intel.  However, I am having all kinds of fits with the Cisco UC applications.  Exach server has been configured using the Cisco OVA/OVF templates.

On CUCM 8.5 installed, but I cannot get IP Streaming Media server to work.  I can start the service, but it immediately shuts down again.

I have tried the 7.0 fix of creating the athlon folder, and even tried creating an Opteron folder with the proper files and was less than success ful.  Actually 7.0 would not install at all, I had to build the VM on an intel machine in VMPlayer and then convert it. 

For the UCCX 8.5 I cannot get the Cisco Unified CCX Engine to start.  I can start services, but they cycle through and end up in a shutdown state again.  I haven't tried building this one on an intel box and converting it yet, but that may be my next stop.

Haven't tackeled Connections or CUPS yet.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.

2x AMD Opteron 6128 Octo-Core

TYAN S8230GM4NR

32GB RAM

4x HItachi 2TB SATA

Adaptec 5405 RAID Controller

3 Replies 3

bvanturn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From the UC virtualization documentation:

Servers must have Intel Xeon 5600 or 7500 series of processors. No other processor vendors or models are supported.

Since it is for home lab and unsupported anyways you may want to try to configure the VM manually instead of from OVA.

Yeah, technically it is only supported on Cisco UCS hardware, but I didn't have an extra $20K lying around and couldn't convince Cisco to Loan me one.  Hopefully when Cisco opens up the applications to any platform the issues will be resolved.  Until then, if I find a work-a-round I will post or if anyone else has found one let me know. 

The OVA just specifies the VM Settings, so yeah, I could do it manually and will usually reserve resources according to what will work for me.

I had a similar issue but I was not using VMware ESXi, I have installed VMware Server on a Linux box with an AMD Opeteron 6128 processor; I tried to install CUCM and CUPs on that machine but either failed to install or the services were not staying up; so what I did was to install VMware Workstation on my Laptop (Intel based) and installed those apps there plus UCCX 8.5 and CUC, then moved the vhdk files from there to the Server and all of the applications work fine so far.

Please notice that on ESXi you can move the vhdk files through SCP and then use the vmkfstools to convert the vhdk. This link will help:

http://simplenetwks.com/blog2/2011/01/12/workaround-use-a-vmware-workstation-vmdk-file-on-esx/

HTH

--espereir

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: