cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC on UCS, VMWare Tools, and shutdowns

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

The UC linux appliances have VMWare tools embedded, which supports the shutdown guest function via VMWare.  In trying this a few times in the lab, I've noticed that if you use this, it causes VMWare to term the O/S rather than shutting down the applicaiton first and then terming the O/S.

My question is....is this dangerous to do?  Will using this cause damage to the V/M?  Can it cause service interruptions?  Database corruption? 

TIA

Cliff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Cliff,

After talking to our internal Development resources got the below information.

VMTools shutdown is not same as Linux shutdown (CLI command that we normally use in case of VOS) for Cisco UC VOS based apps.

It is not advised since we cannot assure the system’s integrity post such operation.

We realize that the customer in this case might be trying to automate such operation in a mass deployment environment.

But for time being please use system cli for such operation.

Hope it helps.

Anand

Pls rate helpful posts !!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

anchoudh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Cliff,

Please refer the "VMware Feature Support" in the below link for UC apps,

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements

Hope it answers your query.

Anand

Unfortunately, it doesn't.

Even when looking on VMWare's web site, there is no indication that shutting down a VM through VMTools is a "feature" and even if it is, there is no indicated name for it.  VMWare tools isn't even mentioned anywhere on that page. 

It would be really nice if someone with ties back to the business unit (specifically around CUCM and UCxN) could weigh in on this. 

Cliff

No, sorry. 

I'm trying to find out if simply using VMWare tools to execute the Shutdown Guest System will damage anything when used with Cisco Linux appliances such as CUCM and UCxN.  The document you linked doesn't address that.

Hi Cliff,

After talking to our internal Development resources got the below information.

VMTools shutdown is not same as Linux shutdown (CLI command that we normally use in case of VOS) for Cisco UC VOS based apps.

It is not advised since we cannot assure the system’s integrity post such operation.

We realize that the customer in this case might be trying to automate such operation in a mass deployment environment.

But for time being please use system cli for such operation.

Hope it helps.

Anand

That's what I needed.  Thank you!

Does anyone know if this is still the case?  Has Cisco / VMware improved the use of VMware tools to allow a graceful shutdown of CUCM ( and other UC applications ) via the shutdown guest OS in vcenter? When I test this in a lab watching the virtual monitor I do see some of the shutdown scripts running on the screen.

Is this safe for the CUCM DB, is  shutdown guest OS an approved shutdown method for UC applications VMs?