Views
Helpful
Replies

UC Upgrade Help

jafetters
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a big upgrade coming up quickly and am reaching out to everyone for some help.  I've been doing some research for a couple of weeks now and still can't put together a good plan.                    

This is our current setup:

CUCM version 6.1.2 running on HP servers (Publisher and a Subscriber at our HQ, and a Subscriber at our DR site)

Unity version 4.0 (3 servers, a Main, FO, and a MS, all at HQ)

UCCX version 7.0 ( 2 servers, Main and FO, both at HQ)

AQM version 2.7.3 ( 1 server running on VMWare, 2005 SQL Database)

Here’s how the new design will look:

We will have a total of 4 UCS210 servers, 2 at our NEW datacenter, 1 at our DR site, and 1 at HQ. Everything will be running on VMWare.

CUCM version 8.6 (Publisher and Subscriber at our NEW datacenter, Subscriber at DR, Subscriber at HQ)

CUC version 8.6

UCCX version 8.5

AQM version 8.5 ( which has to have 2008 SQL Database, so I have to migrate from 2005 to 2008)

What’s the best way to attack this upgrade? It would be nice to get the UCS servers up to 8.6 and configured, then basically flip a switch and be done with it, but I know it’s not going to be that easy. I know I can’t upgrade straight to 8.6 from 6.1.2, so I need to upgrade to 6.1.4 first. Can I do a backup on the current hardware and restore it on the UCS servers running VMWare? Any help/ideas/suggestions are much appreciated.

4 Replies 4

jafetters
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

problemchild27
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have somewhere heard there are DB replication problem occurs if you try to push the backup into 8.5 I would suggest you to run ICT trunk between the 8.5 and 6.1 so that you can slowly & safely move the phones to the new cluster. Hope you will get more response for this question :-) Good luck!!

Thank You

PC

Thanks PC.  I'll check into setting up an ICT between the two.

One thing I did notice is our current CUCM servers have 4 GB RAM, so I think I can upgrade them to 8.0x, then do a DRS backup.  Then install 8.0x on the UCS servers and do a restore.  Then upgrade the UCS servers to 8.6.  Am I right in thinking this way?

Hi,

If your existing server is MCS,  i afraid it wont support 8.x. You can first try this in a lab environment and goahead in production environment or consult Cisco TAC. Good luck!!

Thank you

PC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: