cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX 8.5 DNS Mandatory... Why?

m.gravel
Level 1
Level 1

Page 10/78 of the Installing Cisco Unified Contact Center Express  Release 8.5(1) has a note stating...

Note:  DNS configuration is mandatory for Unified CCX installation. Both Forward and Reverse records are required.

The release notes for 8.5.1 in open caveats state:

CSCtk05428 - Need to document DNS config as mandatory for UCCX installation

The bug id referenced above has no details  when entered into the public bug toolkit.  I’ve also heard of an installation where  8.5.1 is running and DNS was not used and there have been no reports of any issues not having DNS installed

I am trying to find out if it is actually mandatory for what particular reason?  What components rely on DNS and wont work if it is not used?  The SRND for CUCM 8.x states not to rely on DNS and thus change all hostnames to IP addresses which is what we have been doing for years now.  Is this not the case for UCCX?

5 Replies 5

Hi,

In page 7-12 of the following guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_8_5/design/uccx851srnd.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------

There are certain CAD modules that rely upon reverse DNS lookups. If this feature is turned off on the machines running CAD services, there will be a loss of some functionality and errors will be generated and logged.

----------------------------------------------------

According to the above CAD may not funtion correctly.

You are correct that this is something new.

HTH,

Christos

Christos

So to summarize this issue, do we enable DNS or no...? Is there any documentation on what modules wont work?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi,

I didn't test this in my lab so I don't know what the potential issues are. I could not find any document that document the repercussions if you don't configure a DNS (that would be difficult to do)

If you want to get more details I think it might be a good idea to open a SR.

If the guide says this, I would personally stick to it

Regards,

Christos

thisisshanky,

Where you able to find which modules wont work if you dont use DNS? I'm doing an upgrade from UCCX 7 to UCCX 8.5 and on 7.x customer is not using DNS and we would like to maintain that scenario.

-Jose

Hi Christos,

I just want to know what are these CAD modules that rely upn the DNS loopups? Can you please elaborate this further. I have to explain this to client as we are encountering challenges on the CAD.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: