cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCL and VG248

Matt Cable
Level 1
Level 1

Could someone provide guidance if we upgrade the current cluster (version 6) to version 9 replacing the current licensing model from DLUs to UCL.

I just wanted to understand if the VG248 now needs to be licensed under UCL (essential) or whether it still takes the 'Gateway' view where there is no cost associated.

Any help will be appreciated as it's difficult to tell from CCO.

Thanks in advanced

Matt

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Matt,

As far as I know, you will be requiring licnese[Essential] for each analog device connected to VG224 /VG248.

You can speak to Cisco SE and get confirmed.

regds,

aman

View solution in original post

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Matt

Yes, these rules have changed. Each analog device needs a UCL Essentials license at v9.x. Up to 8.x no CUCM licence was consumed.

Fair to say I've got a few customers with large number of VG2XX gateways that aren't very happy....

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Matt,

As far as I know, you will be requiring licnese[Essential] for each analog device connected to VG224 /VG248.

You can speak to Cisco SE and get confirmed.

regds,

aman

Hi,

So as final confirmation for VG224,VG248 and VG320

We won't need ucl license when configuring them H323 and SIP.

But we need license when configuring it SCCP and MGCP.

Please confirm me the MGCP part that I think MGCP is the same as H323 and SIP that it'll act as a gateway, so it shouldn't need license and only SCCP will require license !!! and plz advise if it'll be illegal ?

Thanks

Haitham

Both MGCP and SCCP will enforce the license as ports are configured as devices in CUCM with both protocols.  SIP and H323 being peer to peer protocols and requiring routes to the GW vs. configured devices do not enforce the licenses as CUCM is not aware of what's configured on the GW.

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot for your reply

kindly did you see any cisco doc for MGCP that it need license

I think when configure SCCP we see the ports as devices but with MGCP we need to go to gateway page to check the ports

I need to confirm that we are upgrading and have a huge number of VG248

Thanks

Haitham

Interestingly here is what I see:

MGCP FXS ports do not require any license because they are not considered as analog phones

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmfeat/CUCM_BK_F3AC1C0F_00_cucm-features-services-guide-100/CUCM_BK_F3AC1C0F_00_cucm-features-services-guide-100_chapter_0100101.html

So, I guess only SCCP enforces essential license need.

Great

It is also what I was thinking for

for SCCP

Adding a Cisco VG248 Analog Phone Gateway

The Cisco VG248 Analog Phone Gateway, a standalone, rack-mounted, 48-FXS port product, allows on-premise analog telephones, fax machines, modems, voice-messaging systems, and speakerphones to register with one Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster.

The Cisco VG248 connects to a Cisco Unified Communications Manager by using the Skinny Client Control Protocol to allow for enhanced features.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager recognizes the Cisco VG248 as a gateway device, called a "Cisco VG248 Gateway." Additionally, Cisco Unified Communications Manager treats each of the 48 ports as an individual device, similar to a Cisco Unified IP Phone, called a "Cisco VGC Phone."

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmcfg/701-cmcfg/b06gtway.html

Hi Chris,

I have a licensing query with regards to VG200. If I were to register this on the CUCM with one analog phone connected to its FXS port, what Licenses do I need. It is difficult to find any information about VG200 online. It is appreciated if you could share your knowledge.

I'm using MGCP as the protocol for this gateway. Also do I need a license for the analog phone?

Thank you

You should account for 1 Essential license for it.  Though if not using SCCP to control it you will not see the license being allocated, but you still need to have it.

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Matt

Yes, these rules have changed. Each analog device needs a UCL Essentials license at v9.x. Up to 8.x no CUCM licence was consumed.

Fair to say I've got a few customers with large number of VG2XX gateways that aren't very happy....

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Just a clarification, in previous versions analog devices were never free, they did not consume DLUs but you were still required to purchase Analog UCL licenses which have now been replaced with UCL essential. So, the customer can only blame themselves or whoever did not sell them proper licenses in the first place :-)

HTH,

Chris

Mmmm... Not saying I disbelieve you Chris, but I once sat in on a meeting with a Cisco sales person who said (I wrote it down in the meeting) and I quote "the analog device license costs are bundled into the price of the VG2XX gateway".

One of the challenges here is that one of my customers bought their VG248s at version of 5.x of CUCM before UCL even existed and there was not even a part code at that time as everything was DLU based. So can't really blame the reseller here, or the customer.

I love Cisco UC licensing. It makes my day complete. Without it, my life would be empty (and I would have loads of spare time to do all manner of other stuff).

Barry Hesk

Barry,

There was a confusing for a while on licensing for analog devices depending if they were using SCCP/MGCP/SIP/H323, my recollection is that MGCP and SCCP always required license, but the other were gray area though when we reached out to Cisco BU a while ago we were told that all analog devices need to be licensed. 

I do agree that Cisco caused this confusion with their complex licensing structure.  If you had VG224 and cannot afford new licenses you could always convert to H323/SIP and those would not be tracked :-)  But with VG248 that is not an option.

HTH, plaese rate all useful posts!

Chris

Matt Cable
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for the quick response.

I will now include this.
Thanks
Matt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: