cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ucs c220 serial port

gene
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone attempted to put the IP address on the CIMC from the serial port? Thought it would be nice to not have to drag out the monitor and keyboard but I cant seem to get the proper pin out or and baud rate information.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry Gene, not sure why it's giving you fits.  I fired it up again today to verify I wasn't crazy, and it's humming along fine on my setup.  Again, straight rollover cable into the RJ45 serial port on the back (note: not the CIMC/mgmt port, but the port directly adjacent to the VGA port).  I'm using TeraTerm with settings:

Here's the output from my terminal, the coloration is ugly but gets the job done:

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

nah

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below. 

=============================

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Late response, but you should be able to hit the RJ45 serial port with a baud of 57600.  I'm doing it right now on a C220 M3

What connector pin out are you using?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Standard Cisco rollover cable.  I used my Cisco router/switch serial settings except for the baud rate, so 8-bit/none/1-bit/none.

It's pretty cool - I have my C220 output to a monitor, and any action I perform in my terminal window is performed on the more normal-looking monitor output.  No need for the monitor.

I am trying this now and it does not work for me. The first time I tried I made a cable and I could get some trash on the screen but now with the Cisco console cable I get nothing. I Have done this with other types of serves before with no issue. I dont understand what could be going wrong because I know my port and cable are good just hooked them to a switch to verify then I just changed the baud to 57600 and I am using the c220M3 as well so not sure what I could be doing wrong

Sorry Gene, not sure why it's giving you fits.  I fired it up again today to verify I wasn't crazy, and it's humming along fine on my setup.  Again, straight rollover cable into the RJ45 serial port on the back (note: not the CIMC/mgmt port, but the port directly adjacent to the VGA port).  I'm using TeraTerm with settings:

Here's the output from my terminal, the coloration is ugly but gets the job done:

Sorry, images didn't stay for some reason.  They're in there now.

Thanks Jeff. I still cant get it to work but maybe its my PC or usb to serial adapter. Just to confirm you are using a blue cisco cable that comes with a router right?

Yep, blue Cisco cable that comes with routers/switches, and I'm even using a USB-Serial converter.  Really sorry it's not working for you :/

For the M3 series, the Baud Rate is 115200.

BIOS with Serial Port Console Redirection enabled.  You will also find the COM settings.

Configs done on a Console Server ( 2901).

Result of telneting into the console. In this example, we used the serial port to configure the CIMC.

Hello Igor,

I am in the middle of configuring CIMC of C220 M3 server using console/serial port via RJ 45 Rollover console cable which is connected to console/terminal server 2901.

Once physical connection has been done. Then, how to access the server.

what will be the next step.

I went through above screenshots but still have some confusion.

DO you have some steps to proceed further.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: