Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Call International from the USA

AM8112
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, 

Not sure what is the problem here. I feel liked I've tried every combo of config possible. We are able to call local and national, however, international fails. We have Comcast PRI and I called them and they told me we have international enabled, but couldn't give me anymore insight beyond that. 

Below is the International Dial Peer config:

dial-peer voice 60 pots
trunkgroup ALL_PSTN
description *** Outgoing North America International Dialing ***
destination-pattern 9011T
forward-digits 15

Interfaces Config:

interface Serial0/0/0:23
no ip address
encapsulation hdlc
isdn switch-type primary-ni
isdn incoming-voice voice
isdn supp-service name calling
isdn sending-complete
isdn outgoing display-ie
trunk-group ALL_PSTN
no cdp enable
!
interface Serial0/0/1:23
no ip address
encapsulation hdlc
isdn switch-type primary-ni
isdn incoming-voice voice
isdn sending-complete
isdn outgoing display-ie
trunk-group ALL_PSTN
no cdp enable

CUCM Config:

Route Pattern 9.011!#

Calling Party and Number Type is Cisco Call Manager for both 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alrighty, so we do not need that link. I guess it was configured in case we may need to expand. However, we can now make international calls! After my third call with Comcast, I was able to get in touch with a voice engineer who debugged the call and was able to identify that the international service was not 100% rolled out to our business. So after they made their changes, I was able to call to Mexico.

I appreciate all the help Roger! 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

A few questions.

• Do you see the call hit your voice gateway?
  • If you do does it use the intended dial peer?
  • How are you sending called and calling number to your service provider?
  • If you debug the call what response are you seeing from the service provider?

Response Signature

Hi Roger, 

So I changed the forward-digits 15 and destination pattern from the dial-peer config because it wasn't matching it. So now the confg looks as below:

dial-peer voice 60 pots
trunkgroup ALL_PSTN
destination-pattern 011T
forward-digits all

I am not honestly sure why it originally had a destination pattern of 9011T when CUCM discards pre-dot 9.011!#

I did a "debug voice dialpeer all" and now see it matching dial-peer 60.

I attached the output. I did modify our IP and our number 

As for your questions:

- Yes

- It does now

- Called number: Local + number, Calling number: 011 + Country Code + Local + number 

- What debug would that be? debug voip ccapi inout? My apologies, my knowledge is limited when it comes to telephony/voip. 

Thank for the info. A few things. If you want to keep the 9 as part of the routing process in the gateway I'd recommend you to remove the DDI pre-dot in CM on the RP to have the called number sent as entered to the VGW. Then in the gateway you'd remove the prefix for the outside line, aka the 9. There are multiple ways how to do this, but my personal preference has always been to remove it with a voice translation rule. In your specific case it could look something along the way with this.

voice translation-rule 40
 rule 1 /^9\(.*\)/ /\1/

voice translation-profile PSTN-IN
 translate calling 10
 translate called 20
!
voice translation-profile PSTN-OUT
 translate calling 30
 translate called 40

trunk group ALL_PSTN
 description PRI Trunk Group for PSTN calls
 hunt-scheme round-robin both down
 translation-profile incoming PSTN-IN
 translation-profile outgoing PSTN-OUT

dial-peer voice 60 pots
 trunkgroup ALL_PSTN
 forward-digits all

When it come to what debugs to run it would depend on the system landscape, but for ISDN it would mostly be debug isdn q931 and for SIP it would be debug ccsip message. The old trustworthy debug voip ccapi inout is also very good in most cases. One advice, when you run multiple debugs do this in one sweep, aka have them enabled in parallel and then get the output in one file as that makes it much easier to get the full view of the call flow.

Response Signature

Hi Roger, 

Oh alright understood! 

I modified the config to look as below:

dial-peer voice 60 pots
trunkgroup ALL_PSTN
forward-digits all
!

voice translation-rule 3
rule 1 /^9\(.*\)/ /\1/
!
!
voice translation-profile InternationalOut
translate called 3
!

trunk group ALL_PSTN
translation-profile incoming PSTN_To_CUCM
translation-profile outgoing InternationalOut

And ahhh yes of course! Not sure why I didn't do that way to begin with! - with all the debugs running in parallel.

I attached the output of debug isdn q931, debug ccsip message, and debug voip ccapi inout. I did alter our IP and our phone number. 

Looking at the debug, I did realize that it was only hitting dial-peer 2 and not 1. Shouldn't we see dial-peer 1 getting hit too? Or no?

dial-peer voice 1 pots
trunkgroup ALL_PSTN
description Default inbound dial-peer for calls from PSTN
incoming called-number .
direct-inward-dial
!
dial-peer voice 2 voip
description ***Inbound calls from CUCM ***
session protocol sipv2
incoming called-number .
incoming uri from ucm
voice-class codec 1
voice-class sip options-ping 60
dtmf-relay rtp-nte sip-notify sip-kpml
no vad
!

Thanks again for your help! Greatly appreciated! 

Hi,
I don't see anything related to ISDN q931 debug in the attached file. So I can't make out why the call does not succeed.

For any call there will be two call legs, one inbound and one outbound. These use one dial-peer per call leg. So no you would not see dial-peer 1 matched for this call as that is the inbound call leg dial-peer for calls from PSTN. Apart from this there is no need to have both of these lines in dial-peer 2.

incoming called-number .
incoming uri from ucm

I would remove incoming called-number . and change the other line to incoming uri via ucm as the VIA header is the very first thing that is matched for inbound dial-peers. And on dial peer 1 you don’t need this line as that’s used in the outbound direction and that dial peer is used in the inbound direction.

trunkgroup ALL_PSTN

For detailed information on how call routing works in IOS/IOS-XE see this document.

Response Signature

If you could post your gateway configuration it might be easier to spot what is at fault.

Response Signature

Hi Roger, 

I did a debug isdn q931 detail this time around and got some output. 

Also, attached is our voice gateway config. 

I appreciate the help! 

There is still no call information in the ISDN debug. There is clearly something substantial wrong with your configuration. I did look briefly at your configuration, but it’s just to much things to point out to be practical to do so on a mobile phone. If I get to use a computer before next week, as it’s Easter holiday, I’ll get back on this with you. However there are nothing obvious that sticks out that would explain why you cannot make international calls.

Response Signature

One additional thing, as calls does not seem to be sent to your ISDN circuits as there are no output for the debug, can you please share the status of these? Do so with show isdn status.

Response Signature

Hi Roger, 

I appreciate all of the help that you have given me so far! 

Here is the output of show isdn status:

Global ISDN Switchtype = primary-ni
ISDN Serial0/0/0:23 interface
dsl 0, interface ISDN Switchtype = primary-ni
Layer 1 Status:
ACTIVE
Layer 2 Status:
TEI = 0, Ces = 1, SAPI = 0, State = MULTIPLE_FRAME_ESTABLISHED
Layer 3 Status:
0 Active Layer 3 Call(s)
Active dsl 0 CCBs = 0
The Free Channel Mask: 0x807FFFFF
Number of L2 Discards = 0, L2 Session ID = 39
ISDN Serial0/0/1:23 interface
dsl 1, interface ISDN Switchtype = primary-ni
Layer 1 Status:
DEACTIVATED
Layer 2 Status:
TEI = 0, Ces = 1, SAPI = 0, State = TEI_ASSIGNED
Layer 3 Status:
0 Active Layer 3 Call(s)
Active dsl 1 CCBs = 0
The Free Channel Mask: 0x00000000
Number of L2 Discards = 0, L2 Session ID = 1
Total Allocated ISDN CCBs = 0

....Looks like one link is down. Im gonna go and check the physical cabling later today. 

Alrighty, so we do not need that link. I guess it was configured in case we may need to expand. However, we can now make international calls! After my third call with Comcast, I was able to get in touch with a voice engineer who debugged the call and was able to identify that the international service was not 100% rolled out to our business. So after they made their changes, I was able to call to Mexico.

I appreciate all the help Roger! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: