cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to configure voice ports.

john_earnest
Level 1
Level 1

CME 7.1 is running on my 3845.  I have configured the Call Manager Express and calls are working internally.  I recently installed a VIC2-2FXO card to prepare to getting outside line access.

"show diag" shows the card being in slot 0 WIC slot 3.

"show voice port summary" shows my voice ports being on 50/0/1-50.  I know that after configuring an ephone, a voice port is automatically created.

"show run" does not reveal my FXO card.

Problem: "config t" , "voice-port ?" show my choice of being 50/0/1-50.  I try to configure voice-port 50/0/1 and it says unrecignized.

IOS is c3845-ipvoicek9-mz.124-24.T1.bin.

How do I get my FXO card to work?  Also, amber led lights are on the front of the card.

I've reinstalled the card and reboot my router several times.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John,

The HWIC slot does work with your card that's why it shows up in the sh inventory.

Perform the sh inventory again and look for DSPs in the form of PVDMs, NM-1V, NM-2V or NM-HDV. If you do not have any of these modules then you do not have any DSPs and that's why the voice cards do not appear in the config.

With voip you do not need to DSP chips for the voice unless you transcode between two different codecs, but once you introduce analogue ports then you need to convert the signals between the two with DSPs.

Cheers,

Phil

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

markbatts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It sounds like the card is not being recognised.If you run a show ver do you see it in the list?

cheers

mark

Thanks for replying.  This problem has me stumped.  I also loaded 2821 with an older IOS to test the IOS and had the same problem so it might be something I'm missing.

Show Ver

Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3845-IPVOICEK9-M), Version 12.4(24)T1

Cisco 3845 (revision 1.0) with 481279K/43008K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX1323AHU8
3 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
2 terminal lines
2 Voice FXO interfaces
1 cisco service engine(s)
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.
479K bytes of NVRAM.
255488K bytes of ATA System CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

This is the output.

markbatts
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry just to add.The voice port will be at the slot you put it in for example 0/1/1 or similiar , 50/0/1 are used for the Ephones

If you reboot the router and capture the boot up sequence it should say what the issue is with the card. i.e unrecognised etc.

Cheers

mark

Thanks Mark.  I rebooted and there were no error messages.  Once I can get to the example of 0/1/0 I can configure my outside lines.

All of the documentation I've found said basically install the card and configure using the "voice port 0/1/0" command.  I can not figure out what is missing.

Self decompressing the image : ################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################# [OK]

Smart Init is enabled
smart init is sizing iomem
  ID            MEMORY_REQ                 TYPE
00042C          0X010D78F3 C3845 motherboard
0004A5          0X0064E420 EtherSwitch SM 24 10/100+1SFP+ST, NME-XD-24ES-1S-P
                0X001E0000 OIR memory
                0X00288860 Onboard PVDM2 SIMM
                0X000021B8 Onboard USB
00038E          0X0004FE00 Service Engine AIM
                0X00660670 public buffer pools
                0X0078F000 public particle pools
TOTAL:          0X029CFB9B

Cisco 3845 (revision 1.0) with 481279K/43008K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX1323AHU8
3 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
2 terminal lines
2 Voice FXO interfaces
1 cisco service engine(s)
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.
479K bytes of NVRAM.
255488K bytes of ATA System CompactFlash (Read/Write)

stowellp
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure that the card is in a VWIC slot and not a WIC slot.

Do a sh invent to see if the card is recognised?

Cheers,

Phil

It's installed into one of the hwic slots.

show invent

NAME: "2nd generation two port FXO voice interface daughtercard on Slot 0 SubSlot 3", DESCR: "2nd generation two port FXO voice interface daughtercard"
PID: VIC2-2FXO         , VID: V02 , SN: FOC13080MMP

John,

The info from the sh inventory says that the card is installed in 0/3, so the voiceports will be 0/3/0 and 0/3/1. Do these ports appear when you do the following command sh voice port summ?

Cheers,

Phil

Negative Phil,

here's the output:

rtr1-voip-S50#sho voice port summary
                                           IN       OUT
PORT            CH   SIG-TYPE   ADMIN OPER STATUS   STATUS   EC
=============== == ============ ===== ==== ======== ======== ==
50/0/1          1      efxs     up    up   on-hook  idle     y
50/0/2          1      efxs     up    dorm on-hook  idle     y
50/0/3          1      efxs     up    dorm on-hook  idle     y
50/0/4          1      efxs     up    dorm on-hook  idle     y
50/0/5          1      efxs     up    dorm on-hook  idle     y
50/0/6          1      efxs     up    dorm on-hook  idle     y
50/0/7          1      efxs     up    up   on-hook  idle     y
50/0/8          1      efxs     up    up   on-hook  idle     y
50/0/9          1      efxs     up    up   on-hook  idle     y

.....I suppressed some of the output

50/0/99         1      efxs     up    up   on-hook  idle     y

PWR FAILOVER PORT        PSTN FAILOVER PORT
=================        ==================

John,

Have you got DSP resources inm the router? You will need DSPs in the router to be able to use the card.

Phil

How do I check the dsp's?

I'm using the HWIC slots.  My card is a 2nd generation VIC2-2FXO.  I also have a 3rd generation VIC3-2FXS card.

I thought the 3845 could handle this easily.  At the moment, my voip is only internal.  I have a couple gre tunnels to 2 other sites using voip also.  These gre's are on the same router.  Those sites each have their own 3845 and I'm running CME on those also.

The only dial-peers I have set up so far are to route calls between the sites and to the CUE.

Once I get these lines up I'll create a dial-peer pointing to the voice port and the E.164 numbers.

Are the HWIC slots unable to use the VIC cards?  Do I have to use and NME card first and install the VICs into it in order to make it work?

rtr1-voip-S50#sho dsp

DSPFARM Configuration Information:

Admin State: DOWN, Oper Status: DOWN - Cause code: ADMIN_STATE_DOWN

Transcoding Sessions: 0(Avail: 0), Conferencing Sessions: 0 (Avail: 0)

Trans sessions for mixed-mode conf: 0 (Avail: 0), RTP Timeout: 600

Connection check interval 600 Codec G729 VAD: ENABLED

John,

The HWIC slot does work with your card that's why it shows up in the sh inventory.

Perform the sh inventory again and look for DSPs in the form of PVDMs, NM-1V, NM-2V or NM-HDV. If you do not have any of these modules then you do not have any DSPs and that's why the voice cards do not appear in the config.

With voip you do not need to DSP chips for the voice unless you transcode between two different codecs, but once you introduce analogue ports then you need to convert the signals between the two with DSPs.

Cheers,

Phil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: