cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to login CUPC8.5 but 8.0 is OK...

Hi all,

We've got a deployment with the following specs...

CUCM 8.5, CUC 8.5, CUPS 8.5.

Fully AD integration and AD authentication. All userids and passwords are operational.

Now, I'm trying to login to CUPC 8.5 and this does not work: Login Failed. However, I am able to login with CUPC 8.0 and it is operational. I can chat, use softphone and control my deskphone.

Any ideas?

I'll add some logs for those really wanting to assist me...

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Lieven

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Lieven

I quickly looked at the logs

Here is what I see

2011-03-04 11:02:01,796 WARN  [ws-pool-thread-2] [PresenceService] [PresenceServiceCoreImpl.connectToSecondaryConnectionManagerServer(786)] - Primary Server cannot be reached: CUPS.

2011-03-04 11:02:01,797 WARN  [ws-pool-thread-2] [PresenceService] [PresenceServiceCoreImpl.setupConnectionToPresenceServer(649)] - Server cannot be reached: CUPS. CUPS

2011-03-04 11:02:01,799 ERROR [ws-pool-thread-2] [PresenceAdapter] [PresenceServiceImpl.initialize(195)] - Problem initializing the Presence service. Presence server cannot be reached
com.cisco.uc.core.common.exceptions.presence.PresenceServiceException: Presence server cannot be reached

Can you check if you can ping the server by the hostname? I think it is CUPS if you cannot you can workaround it by configuring the entry of the CUP server in the local hosts file

You say you can login from CUPC 8.0. Are you using the same PC or a different one ?

Let me know if it helps,

Christos

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi Lieven

I quickly looked at the logs

Here is what I see

2011-03-04 11:02:01,796 WARN  [ws-pool-thread-2] [PresenceService] [PresenceServiceCoreImpl.connectToSecondaryConnectionManagerServer(786)] - Primary Server cannot be reached: CUPS.

2011-03-04 11:02:01,797 WARN  [ws-pool-thread-2] [PresenceService] [PresenceServiceCoreImpl.setupConnectionToPresenceServer(649)] - Server cannot be reached: CUPS. CUPS

2011-03-04 11:02:01,799 ERROR [ws-pool-thread-2] [PresenceAdapter] [PresenceServiceImpl.initialize(195)] - Problem initializing the Presence service. Presence server cannot be reached
com.cisco.uc.core.common.exceptions.presence.PresenceServiceException: Presence server cannot be reached

Can you check if you can ping the server by the hostname? I think it is CUPS if you cannot you can workaround it by configuring the entry of the CUP server in the local hosts file

You say you can login from CUPC 8.0. Are you using the same PC or a different one ?

Let me know if it helps,

Christos

Hi there,

Well I actually had quite a simple solution to this problem.

This test was performed of a PC that was NOT in the domain of the customer.

I tried the exact same thing on a PC that was a member of customers' domain and it worked immediately...

It probably was something related with a suffix when trying to 'contact' the CUPS server...

Strange then that it DID work with CUPC v8.0.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Hi,

I had this exact same problem using a PC running XP that is not in the customers domain.

I was able to resolve it and log in to CUPC 8.5 using the procedure below:

1. Open a command prompt and run ipconfig /all
  2. Make a note of the entries in the DNS Suffix Search List - e.g. acme.com
  3. Add an entry for Presence.acme.com to your local Hosts file
  4. Try logging in - it worked for me.

If needed use Wireshark to capture DNS queries as these will contain the name that CUPC is trying to resolve.

EDIT

Looking at the CUPC 8.5 release notes it looks like these issues are probably caused by the new Automatic Server Discovery feature which is intended to allow CUPC to discover the CUPS server using DNS SRV records rather than relying on manual configuration or a pushed Registry key. More details below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/8_5/english/release/notes/cupc85.html#wp309561

I guess this was why I was seeing DNS requests for Presence.acme.com in my Wireshark traces!

d.haeni
Level 4
Level 4

Lieven, I came across these entries:
2011-03-04 11:01:59,772 ERROR [ws-pool-thread-2] [com.cisco.uc.core.provider.cup.connection.ConnectionManagerImpl] [ConnectionManagerImpl.connect(248)] - Received XMPP Exception errorMessage: XMPPError connecting to CUPS:5222.
2011-03-04 11:01:59,773 ERROR [ws-pool-thread-2] [com.cisco.uc.core.provider.cup.connection.ConnectionManagerImpl] [ConnectionManagerImpl.connect(253)] - Received XMPP Exception errorCode: 502, errorCondition: remote-server-errorerrorType: CANCEL
2011-03-04 11:01:59,775 WARN  [ws-pool-thread-2] [PresenceService] [PresenceServiceCoreImpl.attemptConnectionToConnectionManagerServer(759)] - Failed XMPP login after 1 attempts.

Looks to me as if Cisco UP XCP Connection Manager Service is not running or that this connection is somehow dropped.

You can verify via CLI that there is a listener port on CUPS

admin:show open ports regexp 5222

Executing.. please wait.

cm        28724    xcpuser   39u  IPv4   106326       TCP x.x.x.x:5222 (LISTEN)

Cheers

/David

Hello, Problem is solved. Used a PC in the domain of customer.

Worked like a charm.

Best Regards,

t.muhammad
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

I'm having the same problem with XMPP via a VPN tunnel.

2011-03-04 11:01:59,775 WARN  [ws-pool-thread-2] [PresenceService]  [PresenceServiceCoreImpl.attemptConnectionToConnectionManagerServer(759)]  - Failed XMPP login after 1 attempts.

Opened a TAC ticket and Cisco says that I have to open a port on the firewall. My firewall guys says everything is open. Any suggestions? Is there a possibility there is an inspect rule in there someplace blocking this port 5222. Opened the port on my windows firewall, but to no avail.

We tested by executing the following from the vpn client "Telnet 10.x.x.x.x 5222". Then got a cannot connect message.

We then tested via the internal network and it was able to get to a black screen with a cursor, so in other words it was successful. Version 8.6 CUPS, CUPC 8.6, CM 8.6.