Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to update firmware

yixiu0317
Level 1
Level 1

Hi  There,

We have a small branch that have several IP phones, we installed the phones and they could register to the CUCM 7 without problem.

But later on, we did factory reset for the phones and they were not able to get the new firmware installed.

Also for the other phones we did not do the factory reset, whatever we changed on the CUCM could not be applied to the phone.

The phones still shows register on the CUCM.

When we bring the phones to the other site, everything worked fine.

It looks like there is something wrong with the network, but I checked the configuration on the router and switch, they look fine.

Can someone give me some hint about where should I look at?

Cheers           

1 Reply 1

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi yixiu0317,

At the branch site, log into the switch where the phone is connected and run the following command:

copy tftp: flash:

Speciy the UCM TFTP server IP.

Specify the filename SEP.cnf.xml

Are you able to download the config file into the flash? If yes, open that config file to see if it is updated with the right entries like firmware, UCM server details, etc. Chances are that the download of that file will fail. Then you would wanna make sure that the necessary ports are open over the WAN and there is no firewall / access lists blocking the TFTP traffic.

From (Sender)
To (Listener)
Destination Port
Purpose

Endpoint or Gateway

Unified CM

69, 6969, then Ephemeral / UDP

Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) service to phones and gateways

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/port/8_5_1/portlist851.html

Else, take a packet capture by spanning the switchport where the IP phone is connected as well as the TFTP server at the same time while trying to register the phone after a factory reset. That should show us if the IP phone is able to download the config file and where it is getting stuck.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.