cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5 and default partion configurations

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

I've installed Unity 5 with active and standby configuration, it's been in production for a year and a half and doing well.  I have had some trouble in the past as it relates to how the platform configuration disc allocates space to the C drive, however.  On both servers, 12gb is allocated to C:.  Only the OS is stored there, absolutely everything else is put on the second partition.  In our setup, I find that the C: drive's default setup isn't as suffcient as Cisco planned it to be as OS updates and log files slowly eat away at the free space on the drive.  Over time, I've been finding the space to be slowly decreasing (this is a very gradual process.)  At one point, a bug in the Win2K3 appliance software wouldn't allow the OS to delete log files and I almost ran out of space on C: completely (luckily, I caught this in time and resolved.)

My question is; has partition size been increased on C: for the platform configuration disc in the following version of Unity?  I find it ironic that the drive that needs the most space (C:) gets the least.  The second drive is 136gb and I'm barely using 1gb of it.

Also, I know what the drives are for, don't explain about the MTU, the storage of messages in an outage, etc.  I know this.  Just want to know if C: drive is more spacious in version 7.

4 Replies 4

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should be able to do a search.  Even though you  may have put everything on the D drive (136 gig drive) you may still have SQL MDB files and or Exchange priv db on the C drive.

I usually install everything on the large drive.  But during the Unity install, it will ask where the SQL database should be located, same with Exchange.  It does not by default put this on the D drive.  If SQL DBs are filling up or logs, they can easily be moved with the SQL Manager. (Detach, move, reattach)

But assuming you have Unity and Unity Failover, you are not using Voicemail setup or you would have a third server in the mix for Exchange... correct?

Search the C drive and look and see where the space is filling and report back.

That's not what I'm talking about.  If you've installed Unity via the Unity Preparation Disc that comes with the MCS server, the partitions are set up automatically.  During the install process I selected to install to the large drive every time I was given the option to choose.  The C drive is 3gb in space (by default).  And, yes, I'm aware of the C: log files issue (that's why I mentioned it.)  The point is; 3gb seems  like a really small partition for an OS and other services.  Has this been addressed in later version of the Unity preparation disc?

I think it depends.  If you have a 7845 loaded with drives, I typically pull the drives I do not need, I just leave the (2) drives to let the prep disc create its partitions.  12 gigs for the C drive and whatever is left over on the D drive.  Then I insert the other drives after the build is done, and mirror those drives with the HP tools.

If you are

If you have a 3 gig OS, then something went wrong.  It should be 12gig if I remember correctly.     IF you have 3 gig left of space on the C drive, thats probably fine.  Nothing should be filling it up anyways maybe some Unity OS updates.

My bad, I meant to say that the C drive is about 12gb and that I currently have 3gb of space left.  Thanks for correcting me.  The 3gb is a bit of an issue if you do the Cisco OS updates with any frequency - you'll notice the remaining free space shrink gradually over time.  I don't think an install would last more than 4 years at that rate.  Probably fine with Cisco, they want everyone to be on Unity Connection anyhow.  It is troubling for those of us getting ready to go Unity 8 this year, though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: