cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 8.5 License Question

jeppen029
Level 1
Level 1

I changed the SMTP server on our Unity Pub as an attempt to see if that would help fix our email notificaitons coming in from RTMT and it gave me the error of "Warning: changing the value of the hostname will affect the license mac." I didn't think anything of it until trying to add a new user today and it gave me the error of "the requested operation would result in a license violation." I checked out the Licenses and it looks like it went ahead and installed the CUCdemo.lic - we are fully licensed but I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

If I put the SMTP server back to what it was before, am I able to use the old license that we had uploaded? If so, is there an easy way to determine which license was last used since there is more than one on the server.

If not, am I able to just run through the license wizard and get a new one sent to my email where I can be good there? The Sub looks to be unaffected as it has a real license file installed, or will I have to redo that license as well?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jake

Yes, if you know what the old SMTP server was you can set it back and then reactivate the old licenses - more than one may be required so you can probably just uncheck the demo one, check the rest, hit activate and cross your fingers.

Alternatively if you want to keep the same settings, get the MAC address from the old license files and then open a case with TAC. Ask them to rehost your licenses from the old MAC to your new one as displayed on 'show status' on the publisher.

The subscriber is licensed separately so will be unaffected if you haven't reconfigured stuff there.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jake

Yes, if you know what the old SMTP server was you can set it back and then reactivate the old licenses - more than one may be required so you can probably just uncheck the demo one, check the rest, hit activate and cross your fingers.

Alternatively if you want to keep the same settings, get the MAC address from the old license files and then open a case with TAC. Ask them to rehost your licenses from the old MAC to your new one as displayed on 'show status' on the publisher.

The subscriber is licensed separately so will be unaffected if you haven't reconfigured stuff there.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Jake,

In addition to what Aaron has said, if u tentatively remember the date of license generation, u can use the file.

regds,

aman

jeppen029
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Aaron - crossing my fingers helped! I de-selected the demo license, checked all the others and it came back with "No licensing warnings or errors exist." I was able to then configure the new user with no issue.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jake,

In addition to the great help from Aaron & Aman (+5 guys!) I thought

you would want to see this for future reference

License Files and License MACs for Cisco Unity Connection Virtual Machines

Each license file for a Cisco Unity Connection virtual machine (except  for the demonstration license file) is registered to a license MAC  value. This value is calculated to look like a MAC address based on the  settings listed in Table 42-1, but it is not a real MAC address.

If you change any of these settings, the existing licenses become  invalid, and you must obtain replacement license files that are  registered to the calculated license MAC value that is based on the new  settings. The old licenses continue to work for a 30-day grace period.  During the grace period, you can change the settings back to the  original values to make your original licenses valid again. If you need  more than 30 days of grace period, change your settings to the original  values, then change them back to the new values that you want to use,  and you will get another 30- day grace period.

If you do not reset the 30-day grace period by changing settings back to  the original values, then Connection stops running. If you restart the  server, Connection starts running again but stops after 24 hours. Each  time you restart the server, Connection runs for another 24 hours until  you either change the settings back to the original values or you  install licenses based on the new license MAC value.

To display the license MAC on a Connection virtual machine, run the show status CLI command.

Table 42-1     Settings Included in the License MAC, and Operations That Require a New License File 

Setting
Operations That Change the Setting and Require a New License File

Time zone

Running the set timezone CLI command.

NTP server 1

In Cisco Unified Operating System Administration, navigating to the  Settings > NTP Servers page and changing which server is the first  server on the list.

NIC speed

Running the set network nic eth0 CLI command with either the auto parameter (to enable or disable auto negotiation) or the speed parameter (to specify whether the speed of the Ethernet connection is 10 or 100 Mb/s).

Hostname

Using the process documented in the "Renaming Cisco Unity Connection 8.x Servers" chapter of the Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 8.x, at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/upgrade/guide/8xcucrugx.html.

Caution If you change the hostname without following the documented process, Connection will stop functioning.  

IP address

Using the set network dhcp CLI command to enable or disable DHCP.

Using the process documented in the "Changing the IP Addresses of Cisco Unity Connection 8.x Servers" chapter of the Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 8.x, at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/upgrade/guide/8xcucrugx.html.

Caution If  you change the IP address, IP mask, or gateway address without  following the documented process, Connection will stop functioning. 

IP mask

Gateway address

Primary DNS

Running the set network dns primary CLI command.

SMTP server

Running the set SMTP CLI command and adding, changing, or deleting the hostname of the SMTP server.

In  Connection Administration, navigating to the System Settings > SMTP  Configuration > Server page and adding, changing, or deleting the  value of the SMTP Domain field.

In  Cisco Unified Communications Operating System, navigating to the  Settings > SMTP page and adding, changing, or deleting the value of  the Hostname or IP Address field.

Certificate information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country)

Running the set web-security CLI command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/administration/guide/8xcucsag310.html#wp1074759

Cheers!

Rob

"go easy...step lightly...stay free " 

- The Clash

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the rating.

regds,

aman