Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection as Centralized Voice Messaging System

Hi All,

I am going to install Cisco Unity Connection for a customer, they have the below requirement as well.

They want to give voice mail facility to users who connected to other PBX as well from Unity Connection.

The set up as follows:

UNITY CONNECTION <- - - - > SCCP < - - - >CUCM < -- -- >SIP < - - - >ACME SBC  < - - - - > SIP < - - - -> NEC PBX-1

They want the voice mail features for the users who connected to NEC-PBX. There are multiple NEC PBX connected to ACME SBC.

1. If we create NEC PBX users in Unity connection with their extension Number and calls forwarded to unity connection will take the voice message?? (I believe yes)
  2. How the MWI will trigger for the NEC PBX users. Since unity connection is not integrated with NEC PBX directly.

Any help on this is highly appreciated.

Best Regards ...

Shakkir

4 Replies 4

dana.tong
Level 4
Level 4

Years ago I had a QSIG integration for telephony and name display between Cisco IP phones and NEC phones. We had tried without success to get MWI working but in the end kept disparate voicemail systems for the term of the migration.

If the NEC PBX supports SIP, then can it integrate with Unity Connection directly with SIP and just be another phone system on Unity?

Cisco documents says SIP integration with CUCM only. 

And there are documents available for integrating via PIMG/TIMG.

The SIP integration is not proprietary to CUCM. It should work assuming the far-end PBX understands unsolicited notify events for MWI. If the NEC PBX supports SIP for voicemail you could create a separate phone system integration for each PBX. If not and the Acme SBC will properly route messages that should work as single phone system integration from CUC's perspective.

Yes, TIMG/PIMG guides are posted here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/unity-connection/products-installation-and-configuration-guides-list.html

Thanks Jonathan,

Thanks for the information.

The problem is I can not test this now as system is still in design phase.

The integration with each PABX can not cosider at this stage since there are more than 20 NEC PBX.

What if i change the CUCM - CUC integration to SIP?

i.e.,

UNITY CONNECTION <- - - - > SIP < - - - >CUCM < -- -- >SIP < - - - >ACME SBC  < - - - - > SIP < - - - -> NEC PBX-1.

In this case, CUCM will pass ? the MWI notification to NEC PBX via ACME(SIP) as Unsolicited notify message.

I will check with NEC if they can supports Unsolicited notify message.