Running CUC 11.5, with LDAP sync to AD. It's working fine, mostly.
I need the LDAP sync to import users into CUC based on the IP phone field in AD, and NOT the Telephone number field. I have this set up in CUCM and it works great. I need CUC to ignore the Telephone number field, but it always grabs whatever number is in that field, if present. I have lots of users with voicemail boxes and no phones. The Telephone number field will be used for their main department number.
The LDAP config in CUC is set identical to CUCM where this works properly, using the same custom filter. In CUC I'm syncing LDAP and can import any users who have any extension in the IP phone field. But it is not syncing the extension from that field. I get a user with no extension...unless I put the extension in the Telephone number field, and I don't want to do that. See the attached screen grab.
FWIW we previously used the Telephone number field and used a conversion to pull the last three digits for the extension number. I tried deleting that and it didn't fix this problem.
Solved! Go to Solution.