Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity - Phone with two MWI subscriptions

billmatthews
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We're running CUCM/Unity 10.5.1.  We have phones that are subscribed to two MWIs, one for their personal VM, and one for a shared hunt group VM.

When they have a message waiting in both boxes, MWI is lit. If they clear their personal VM, MWI goes off. Even though there are still new/unread messages in the group mailbox.

Is there a way to control that behavior? I would like MWI to remain lit if there are new voicemails in either box.

Thanks

Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Bill,

This issue is one of the major drawbacks of using "Alternate MWI" and cannot be corrected or modified in the way you would like. So unless your users are very dedicated and check both mailboxes on a regular basis (MWI On or Off) you are going to get into this RED MWI lamp out of sync problem all the time.

If the users have a spare line button on their phones, I would set it up this way;

Let's say the Hunt Pilot DN is 5000 in our example.

I would create a new "Shared" line on all the line group member phones and this new shared DN can be any number and doesn't have to be a DID (so you don't waste a costly DN). Let's say we use a spare number 2222.

After you've set up this new DN/2222 on the required phones you can then go into CUC and create a new group mailbox for 2222 (delete old mailbox first) and add 5000 as an "Alternate Extension". This way and calls that route through the Hunt pilot 5000 and forward to CUC will see 5000 as the called number and also light up the MWI on all the 2222 extensions as well due to the alternate extension config. The users can then distinguish if there are messages on their personal DN or the new shared 2222 DN based on the visual indicators. They will also be able to use the 2222 DN to access CUC and directly enter the PIN to speed up the message playback.

If the users do not have a spare line button to set this up then I would look at Dispatch messaging in CUC which would alleviate the original MWI lamp problem as well.

From;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/administration/guide/8xcucsagx/8xcucsag170.html#52787

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Bill,

This issue is one of the major drawbacks of using "Alternate MWI" and cannot be corrected or modified in the way you would like. So unless your users are very dedicated and check both mailboxes on a regular basis (MWI On or Off) you are going to get into this RED MWI lamp out of sync problem all the time.

If the users have a spare line button on their phones, I would set it up this way;

Let's say the Hunt Pilot DN is 5000 in our example.

I would create a new "Shared" line on all the line group member phones and this new shared DN can be any number and doesn't have to be a DID (so you don't waste a costly DN). Let's say we use a spare number 2222.

After you've set up this new DN/2222 on the required phones you can then go into CUC and create a new group mailbox for 2222 (delete old mailbox first) and add 5000 as an "Alternate Extension". This way and calls that route through the Hunt pilot 5000 and forward to CUC will see 5000 as the called number and also light up the MWI on all the 2222 extensions as well due to the alternate extension config. The users can then distinguish if there are messages on their personal DN or the new shared 2222 DN based on the visual indicators. They will also be able to use the 2222 DN to access CUC and directly enter the PIN to speed up the message playback.

If the users do not have a spare line button to set this up then I would look at Dispatch messaging in CUC which would alleviate the original MWI lamp problem as well.

From;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/administration/guide/8xcucsagx/8xcucsag170.html#52787

Cheers!

Rob

Excellent explanation and alternatives.  Thank you!