cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity8 to CUC 8.6.2 migration with COBRA - migrated users do not have "Integrate with LDAP Directory" selected

jonathanwalton
Level 1
Level 1

I’m migrating users from my Unity v8.0 cluster to a Unity Connection 8.6.2 cluster. We have unified messaging with exchange on our old Unity 8 cluster, and we’re continuing to have unified messaging (single inbox) on Connection 8.6.2.

I’m using the COBRA tool in briefcase mode. My test users and volunteers are migrating fine, except none have“Integrate with LDAP Directory ” selected, which is pretty darn important. I’m having to select this option manually, and re-run the LDAP sync. I couldn't find this as an option in my template or mentioned in the COBRA documentation. I would think there is a way to import users and have them synced in one step.  Any thoughts as to what I'm missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nikshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jonathan,

This might help

Snippet

Important Note About Importing Users into Connection with LDAP Integration

The LDAP integration feature (for instance to Active Directory) with Connection 7.0 and later requires that you import users into Connection from the LDAP connection you create FIRST before creating local users. This is not specific to COBRAS – if you create local users via the SA or BAT or any other process or tool you cannot then make them LDAP integrated later. You must import them via the LDAP link you establish and then edit them.

With this in mind, if you are importing user data into Connection 7 or later from a backup (of either Connection or Unity) and you want your users LDAP integrated, import them into Connection via the LDAP link first and then update the user data with a COBRAS Import selecting to overwrite those users on import. COBRAS will only update information for those users and will not harm or change the integration data used by the LDAP synchronization sub system.

COBRAS, of course, uses the name, alias and extension of the user to match up with a corresponding user in the backup. If your LDAP integrated users you imported into Connection do not have matching names, aliases and/or extensions you will need to tell COBRAS which users in the backup should overwrite which users in your Connection directory. You can use the Alias and Extension renaming feature in the COBRAS Data Viewer application to change those properties in the backup via CSV file if you need to which can make this process easier.

Link

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS_Briefcase/COBRAS_Briefcase.htm#_Toc276653859

I did go through the documents regarding COBRAS  and what I found was that importing users using COBRAS  ( with the 'user integrated with LDAP directory' option checked ) is not possible. If you still want to integrate

all the users with LDAP then you would do the following:

1.       Import all user database using COBRAS

2.       Select all the users you want to integrate with LDAP on unity

connection  'Users ' page

3.        After the selection of users --- click on bulk edit ---- click on

integrate with LDAP - save

Hope this helps

NIket

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

I've not come accross that particular problem with COBRAS, but fixing it with bulk admin should be straightforward.

You can export all subscribers, and give that the usernames should match the AD usernames anyway use that output to build an input file to convert them to LDAP users.

When creating users I use a format like this, then run a sync to populate the other fields:

Alias,Extension,LdapCcmUserId,DisplayName

adusername,123456,adusername,Pronounced Name

Same format should work for an update I guess.

Regards

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

>

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks for your response. However I haven’t done my mass import yet, so I don’t need to use the bulk update tool to fix anything. If I can import the users correctly (as an LDAP-synced-account), then I won’t have any problem to fix.

To clarify,

I’m using the cobra import tool for Unity Connection 7+.

When I import a user into CUC using the cobra import tool, I basically just select the subscriber, the CUC template to use, and then say import. How does CUC (or the import tool) know to import them as a LDAP-synced-account? When I manually import a user into CUC, I tell CUC to look in my LDAP directory, and tell the subscriber to use a user template, and everything works fine.

nikshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jonathan,

This might help

Snippet

Important Note About Importing Users into Connection with LDAP Integration

The LDAP integration feature (for instance to Active Directory) with Connection 7.0 and later requires that you import users into Connection from the LDAP connection you create FIRST before creating local users. This is not specific to COBRAS – if you create local users via the SA or BAT or any other process or tool you cannot then make them LDAP integrated later. You must import them via the LDAP link you establish and then edit them.

With this in mind, if you are importing user data into Connection 7 or later from a backup (of either Connection or Unity) and you want your users LDAP integrated, import them into Connection via the LDAP link first and then update the user data with a COBRAS Import selecting to overwrite those users on import. COBRAS will only update information for those users and will not harm or change the integration data used by the LDAP synchronization sub system.

COBRAS, of course, uses the name, alias and extension of the user to match up with a corresponding user in the backup. If your LDAP integrated users you imported into Connection do not have matching names, aliases and/or extensions you will need to tell COBRAS which users in the backup should overwrite which users in your Connection directory. You can use the Alias and Extension renaming feature in the COBRAS Data Viewer application to change those properties in the backup via CSV file if you need to which can make this process easier.

Link

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS_Briefcase/COBRAS_Briefcase.htm#_Toc276653859

I did go through the documents regarding COBRAS  and what I found was that importing users using COBRAS  ( with the 'user integrated with LDAP directory' option checked ) is not possible. If you still want to integrate

all the users with LDAP then you would do the following:

1.       Import all user database using COBRAS

2.       Select all the users you want to integrate with LDAP on unity

connection  'Users ' page

3.        After the selection of users --- click on bulk edit ---- click on

integrate with LDAP - save

Hope this helps

NIket