Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgradation from Call Manager 4.2(3) sr2b to CUCM 8.5.1

I am recently engaged with upgrading Call Manager 4.2(3) sr2b to CUCM 8.5.1. I understand that it is a step by step Installation. Can someone please advise me with the correct upgrade path with the correspoding tools and considerations that needs to be followed.

Thank you.

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joseph,

This will be a very complex process which will need to be broken up into

a number of distinct steps

The fist step for the CUCM upgrade path will be to move from 4.x to 7.x so you can leverage

the DMA upgrade/files. So I would break this down to securing a perfect DMA

.tarball (work with TAC to correct ANY errors) then do the 7.x upgrade......let things

get working for a bit before the 8.5 upgrade.

This doc has the required steps for the 4.x to 7.x upgrade portion;

Upgrading to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.1(2) from 4.x Releases

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/7_1_2/upgrd712.html

First step will be to create the DMA files. These files will then be

used when you go to do your CUCM 7.1(x) build. The DMA (Data Migration Assistant) files will

allow you to move your data from the Windows 4.x build to the new Linux 7.x build.Here is the requisite info for DMA;

Data Migration Assistant User Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/dma/7_1_2/dmaug712.html

You will have to determine what version you current servers will support this is the "master" list for Server support;

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases by Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

You will need to work with Cisco either directly via your SE, a Partner or

PUT (product upgrade tool) to secure the DVD's and pay for the proper licenses

that will enable the Software feature License for your new version(s).

PUT  (www.cisco.com/upgrade)

Here are the related 7.x to 8.5 steps;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_5_1/cucm-rel_notes-851.html#wp1840219

Cheers!

Rob

"Every fool's got a reason to feelin' sorry for himself" - Springsteen

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply, I am currently building a fresh CUCM cluster parallely and keying in the configurations manually. I feel this would be a much better option rather than going for an upgradation on multiple versions.

Joe.

Hi Joe,

Sounds like a good plan & an opportunity to clean

up any "old" configs or dB issues Don't forget you

will need to contact;

licensing@cisco.com

To migrate your existing licenses.

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen

n.warburton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've banged on about this before I think

One area that is a bit of a pain is the loss of the PIN information especially if you are using extension mobility EM. I've done some pretty large upgrades and found that the DominoComms Pin recovery application saved me weeks of potential support calls. It just works and if you have a few users using this service I would have a serious look at it! It provides the pin information in XLS so can either BAT in (or comes with another application to add them back in afterwards).

Hi, Thank you for the information.Currently I am working with customer with no EM deployment.

Thank you.

Joe.

vikas_ruhil
Level 1
Level 1

Hey joe,

Rob is right. upgradation of CUCM 4.x to 8.5 is a multi hop upgradation. 8.5 licensing is completely different, there is no DLU concept it works on CUWL or UCL licensing. Even if you migrate dirrectly without migration you will have issues, very irritating issues. CISCO has gone really strict about licensing. Please contact partner helpline and confirm that the way you are doing is correct or not.

I am working on same kind of stuff.

Regards

Vikas Ruhil

CCIE Consulatant

Hawaiian Telcom, US

Hi Vikas,

On CUCM 8.5 the licensing bit is pretty stratight forward. It all changes in CUCM 9.0 where the license are user based and Cisco has got a seperate license server to manage its users.

The whole concept of borrowing unused license from a superior user comes into picture.

Regards,

Joe. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: