cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade 9.1 to 11.5

pcromwell
Level 3
Level 3

We have 7 CUCM servers and 2 IM&P servers running 9.1 on Virtual servers. We are going to upgrade

to version 11.5. We have no availability for downtime so we can only have one machine down at each time. This means Installing 11.5 into the inactive partition of all the servers but still keeping 9.1 as the live version until alI servers have been upgraded and we can reboot the cluster onto the new version. I can see a potential flaw in that I am going to need to change the settings of the original OVA to be able to upgrade to 11.5. The Network adaptor will change from flexible to vmxnet for the upgrade to 11.5 in the inactive partition.

So after the upgrade I will still want to run 9.1 for while whilst all the other servers are being upgraded. However I am sure that 9.1 will not work with the new adaptor ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The read me file for CUCM 10.5 OVA mentions the following "You may change the Network Adapter type prior to starting a Direct Refresh Upgrade only if you are Upgrading from CUCM 8.6 or 9.1 version of CUCM. VMXNET3 Network Adapter type is NOT supported with CUCM 8.0 or 8.5. If you are upgrading from these versions to CUCM 10.5 you must perform this change post upgrade."

https://www.cisco.com/web/software/283088407/118831/cucm.ova.README_10.5_Rev2.pdf

So, it appears that CUCM 9.1 should be okay with this setting.

Manish

- Do rate useful posts -

View solution in original post

Hi,

I did the same upgrade (9.1 to 11.5) 4 months back. The adapter type will work on 11.5 and you can change it later. This should be fine. You can change it later to match the OVA.

I was cought but a bug with this upgrade. You may want to take a note of this.

CSCux78390

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The read me file for CUCM 10.5 OVA mentions the following "You may change the Network Adapter type prior to starting a Direct Refresh Upgrade only if you are Upgrading from CUCM 8.6 or 9.1 version of CUCM. VMXNET3 Network Adapter type is NOT supported with CUCM 8.0 or 8.5. If you are upgrading from these versions to CUCM 10.5 you must perform this change post upgrade."

https://www.cisco.com/web/software/283088407/118831/cucm.ova.README_10.5_Rev2.pdf

So, it appears that CUCM 9.1 should be okay with this setting.

Manish

- Do rate useful posts -

Hi,

I did the same upgrade (9.1 to 11.5) 4 months back. The adapter type will work on 11.5 and you can change it later. This should be fine. You can change it later to match the OVA.

I was cought but a bug with this upgrade. You may want to take a note of this.

CSCux78390

many thanks for both the replies.