cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CallManager from 8.5.1 to 9.1.x

ryanshaffer
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking to perform an upgrade of our Call Manager cluster from version 8.5.1 to the newest release of 9.1.x, and had some brief questions. I've looked at the upgrade tool at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080b31514.shtml and it doesn't seem to support anything newer then 8.5.

The problem is that we are a hospital organization and need to maintain as little to know downtime during the process.

The first question with this is during the upgrade instructions it references upgrade instructions for L2 and for a refresh upgrade, for this upgrade do we have to do the refresh upgrade or will the L2 instructions work.

The second is what is recommended upgrade steps and what kind of downtime would be associated with it, we currently have 1 publisher and 2 subscriber units.

I think the steps should look like this, but I'm not entirely sure.

1.)Install software on publisher.

2.)Install software on each subscriber

3.)Restart publisher completely

4.)Restart 1st subscriber

5.)Restart 2nd subscriber

The hope is that the phones would failover to the various nodes during the process, but confirmation with this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

3 Replies 3

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

There is also a refresh upgrade cop file you need to install on servers first before the 9.x upgrade file.

Licensing changes with 9.x and a new license server, elm (enterprise license manager) is used to manage the licenses. You'll need figure out the new licensing using the user count tool (UCT) or the planning page in elm to migrate your pre-9.x licenses to 9.x. No more DLUs. You need to upgrade 8.x to 9.x to do this, a fresh install of 9.x won't let you migrate licenses.

Those are the big two, if your 8.5 is on vm already the steps you listed should be fine. Double check the vm specs match 9.x ova/specs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks.

I was aware of the cop file and I'm currently in the process of trying to calculate the licenses.

So following this general work plan the cluster can be upgraded with little to no downtime? correct

Yes, phones will failover to the servers as they appear in the CUCM group.

Make sure to match the FW from 9.1(x) to avoid downtime while they download the new FW

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: